Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 03:39 PM

Default National Novel Writing Month Throwdown

In a few days, National Novel Writing Month will be upon us once again. One year ago, WillMagic posted a public challenge to OOT: Write a novel of 50,000 words or more within the thirty days of November, or die trying.

Many tried. Many died. November is almost here, and I don't see a NaNoWriMo thread for 2007. I'm starting this one for updates, questions, answers, excuses, and taunts, but obviously the most important reason is that I want in on the prop bets this year. If you don't want in on the prop bets but do want to show OOT how big your novel-writing junk is, that's fine too.

If you don't have the stones, I leave you with the wisdom of Stewie Griffin:

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Got a a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Got a, got a nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for three years? Huh? Got a, got a compelling protagonist? Yeah? Got a obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Got a story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? Yeah, talking about that three years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience? Yeah? Yeah? No, no, you deserve some time off."
Old 10-29-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: National Novel Writing Month Throwdown

Roughly how many single-spaced pages is 50,000 words?

I'm going on the wagon and have been meaning to start writing again, this might be a good kick in the pants for me.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100, I think, since I'm pretty sure double spaced is 250.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:20 PM

I am going to do it.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100, I think, since I'm pretty sure double spaced is 250.

[/ QUOTE ]

I finished at just over 55,000 words, which ended up being 91 single-spaced pages, including a number of page breaks to separate chapters.

Obviously it depends on how dialog-intensive your novel is, but I think if you can get 100 pages, you definitely make the 50,000.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 PM

I'm going to do this.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:22 PM

I started a novel! I'm thinking of a good title for it. Anyway, I think this shows potential.

"Yes, sir. I will see to it."

With those words, Dennis quietly left, his long cape billowing behind him. Gareth, Eugenia, Sir Jacky and I remained clustered around the table, studying the faded map. Times were desperate. Outside our bunker, tanks rumbled by, their tracks beginning to rust from lack of repair. Our supply lines were precarious; while we were in no danger of starvation, our equipment was in a sorry state, and ammunition was low.

The scene inside the bunker was no better. Not only were the walls not coated with a luxurious patina of aged designer paint, but the ball bearings on our chairs were inadequately lubricated. Sir Jacky sighed.

"I don't need to tell you about our situation, men and women. We face impossible odds, for Sauron has the ability to raise the dead. Every soldier we lose becomes a lifeless doll for them to command. And the Chancellor has summoned all the knights of the land to a bowling competition. The fort is in your hands, Garcia."

I watched as Sir Jacky stood up and donned his platemail. With a heavy sigh betraying the great stress he was under, he pat me lightly on the shoulder. "You can do this, Garcia. You are a bad enough dude to save the nation."

Sir Jacky mounted his trusty Friesian warhorse, holstered his laser pistol, and rode off towards the Capital. Gareth and Eugenia looked at me uncertainly, waiting for my command. I hesitated. My decision would determine whether our fort would hold out heroically, becoming a beacon to the demoralised soldiers, or whether it would fall like a rum and coke served in a champagne glass to a drunk guy.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:56 PM

I tried this last year and failed. I just stopped at around 3000 words. I might have a free week in there around Thanksgiving, so I might have some time to work on it if I can finish some of my other work.

Anyhow, it might be fun to share links to google doc files for this thing to up the pressure.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:12 AM

Jesus Christ. I have a story that I have been outlining for a couple of weeks on a notebook. I would love to take part in this but I doubt I would be able to find the time to put down that much. I don't think I could start writing on a laptop without a working outline which will take a long time.

Best of luck to everyone in this.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not only were the walls not coated with a luxurious patina of aged designer paint, but the ball bearings on our chairs were inadequately lubricated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you're leveling, but the wonderful badness of this sentence transcends levels. nh sir.

Edit - agree with Duke, accountability/social support is the one and only key for this sort of thing...