Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 AM

Default I\'m likely just a nit

But for some reason this bugs me. Tonight as I am driving home at 4am, I see a cop on the road stopped at a light. We likely are the only two cars on the road. There is a "No turn on red" sign at the light. He flips on his lights, makes what would otherwise be an illegal turn, and then turns the lights off.

I saw another cop do the same thing a few months ago (this guy just ran the red light, but the premise is the same: he didn't want to wait; no one was around, thus it was not dangerous in the least.)

I recently saw a cop with his lights on in pretty heavy traffic come up the left lane, thus causing cars to move to the right, albeit not easily due to the traffic. Once he reached the exit he needed (it was one that merged to another stretch of highway, but a much less crowded highway) he turned his lights off. There was no accident that he was stopping at. It appeared that he simply wanted to get by all of the traffic. (I understand that maybe he got a call telling him was not needed, but this is a rather unlikely coincidence.)

All of these things are basically harmless (although the 3rd one was potentially dangerous, as cars moving at a high speed were forced to merge in traffic. This wouldn't typically be a big deal, but many people panic when they see flashing lights, thus making a routine merge potentially more dangerous), but they demonstrate an arrogance that I guess I find annoying.

I am not anti-cop or anything like that, but for some reason this "I don't have to follow the rules" attitude bugs me. I realize that cops do not have to follow the rules in many situations, and this is ultimately to my benefit. That said, shouldn't they have to obey the rules just like everyone else when they are not actively protecting the public's interest? Is not this a minor abuse of power that may develop in not-so-minor abuses? Or am I merely a nit?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Re: I\'m likely just a nit

you are a nit.
but this is really a problem. i lived in duluth for a few years and going down 21st ave. there were two times when i've had cops turn their lights on to speed past stopped cars at rush hour in the winter time, only to shut their lights off once they were at the road they wanted to turn on.
and if you know anything about duluth, going down 21st ave. in the winter, at more than a quite slow speed is pretty dangerous. there's no reason for the kind of crap but it does happen all the time. and will keep happening forever. nothing we can do about it.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:28 AM

If it makes you feel any better - it happens everywhere.

I've even seen an Ambulance do it.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 AM

Don't worry, if you were a real nit you would call the station and complain.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:35 AM

Perks of the job. The 1st day I got my license a cop came up behind me and flipped on the lights. I wet myself, then pulled over. He just went around me and turned the lights off.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:19 PM

You're probably right, the cop was probably just getting around the rules. However, cops will often respond to a call (non-emergency) with their lights/siren off only to turn it on when necessary.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're probably right, the cop was probably just getting around the rules. However, cops will often respond to a call (non-emergency) with their lights/siren off only to turn it on when necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last part of this is true. Also, calling and complaining won't do anything as they are very much allowed to do this. It makes their time more productive if they are screwing around waiting for a light.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:40 PM

Two days ago, walking in downtown atlanta, I watched a cop drive up to a red light, coast to a rolling stop, and then start turning right. I noticed he had his window open, and I've always hated the kind of stuff listed in this thread, so I yelled "SIGNAL NEXT TIME".

He made eye contact with me, but didn't arrest me. (Score.)

I'm also a nit.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:51 PM

Cops are douches. They became cops because they were picked on and teased as kids, and feel like they didn't get the proper amount of respect that they deserved. This is why cops and people who work in security power trip all the time. By turning on the siren they're able to make people respectfully move out of their way.Giving people like that a respect switch(aka the siren switch) will always result in a an abuse of power. They're addicted to power and respect, even if it is fabricated.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cops are douches. They became cops because they were picked on and teased as kids, and feel like they didn't get the proper amount of respect that they deserved. This is why cops and people who work in security power trip all the time. By turning on the siren they're able to make people respectfully move out of their way.Giving people like that a respect switch(aka the siren switch) will always result in a an abuse of power. They're addicted to power and respect, even if it is fabricated.

[/ QUOTE ]

generalizations are always wrong.