Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A player is cheated if his opponent ever calls the clock on him when the opponent has the nuts
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Brodeur looks human

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hopey,
You are forgetting that some LOVE competition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not forgetting that at all. There are plenty of European hockey players who live to compete with the best in the world. Nicklas Lidstrom comes to mind.

However, there are also guys like Yashin and Mogilny, who couldn't be bothered to step it up in the playoffs. Unless it was a contract year, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

To even get where they are at, they had to love the sport and competition at a young age. You can be born with all the natural talent in the world and blessed with the best hockey-frame.... but you aren't going to get anywhere close to the NHL if you don't love the game and competition.

I was also referring to the lower-end to average Europeans. Those are the guys that could be huge rock stars in their home country while making comparable, if not more, money there. That's the reason why Alex Korolyuk left San Jose. He would be around his family, be a star, and actually get paid more in Russia. Easy choice for a lot of people.

Anyways, we'll never know for sure since none of us are European hockey players. I just think it's silly this myth is so big when there's no question it comes from a few Euros that don't hit and a few that haven't done well in the playoffs. If Don Cherry was born in Russia, you'd see him go crazy after watching all the Canadian boys that don't hit and don't score in the playoffs.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:35 PM

the Sabres are definately not half-assing it, the Isles are actually underrated and at times putting up a good fight. Players like Blake, Sillinger, Smyth, Beregeon and of course DiPietro have been been playing well... to bad the same can not said about Yashin and Satan.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:39 PM

The Predators have not looked good, the franchise has yet to win a playoff road game. They really need to get rid of Trotz, he is just unable to change his strategy... even if it's a do-or-die game. Kariya has been invisible.

I forgot how much I hated Forsberg so much until this series. No one in the NHL gets away with more dirty things than him. It's no coincidence that almost every retired player mentions and hints at him being dirty. "Feisty competitor" to those still in the game, "When the ref isn't looking...." to those who have retired.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GG,
I'm not saying anything about the Sabres, but you really need to stop with the "play half-assed and still almost win." It seems every Sabres fan states the same quote after every loss. Might be true in the regular season, but it's playoff time. There's no room to play half-assed and there's no "close losses." It's all or nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

half assed = played like [censored]....

especially when they should be as dominant as they supposed to be...

...im not taking any credit away from the islanders, but to say Buffalo has played there best hockey or there most enthused hockey is crazy...

...The Islanders have definately stepped up there intensity at times and are playing out of there ass at times just to keep up (especially DiPietro) where as Buffalo unfortunately is still playing regular season hockey yes they are still finding ways to win (thank you Drury and Zubris especially)...

...and werent you the same guy that was told to watch the [censored] games before you comment???...which it seems is true because if you ACTUALLY watched the game 2 Isles win, they played like [censored]/half assed for the 1st period and the Isles pulled out a win...and it had nothing to do with the Islanders, Buffalo had no desire/enthusiam and I thank god they lost as its taught them a lesson (I hope)
Old 04-19-2007, 05:26 PM

..and I NEVER said they half assed the entire series...only 1 period that cost them a game...

...love how people pick apart one statement and apply it to the whole post
Old 04-19-2007, 06:37 PM

I did watch Game 2.

Half-assed implies that "they weren't trying" and that's the reason they lost. Almost every Sabres fan this year has stated that's the only reason they lose games. It's annoying.

Also, don't know why you are saying I applied it to your whole post... because I didn't. I'm bringing it up because it's not just you, it's practically every Sabres fan. It's OK if the Sabres don't play awesome for one game or lose game. They are not invincible. Calm down there buddy.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 PM

I <3 Grier. He's the MVP of the Sharks so far.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did watch Game 2.

Half-assed implies that "they weren't trying" and that's the reason they lost. Almost every Sabres fan this year has stated that's the only reason they lose games. It's annoying.

Also, don't know why you are saying I applied it to your whole post... because I didn't. I'm bringing it up because it's not just you, it's practically every Sabres fan. It's OK if the Sabres don't play awesome for one game or lose game. They are not invincible. Calm down there buddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree about not being invincible...they will lose games obviously...

...but if there best outweighs anyone elses....and over a 7 game series I think they have the best chance to go all the way...

...and I only used the "excuse" for 1 period of play so far which cost them that game, which I am happy happened

..yes I am a Sabres Homer and no they werent tryin in that first period and thats why Ruff came out and said it was the worst effort put forth by his team in any period all year...yet they did still almost win...
Old 04-19-2007, 06:58 PM

I'm just praying the Isles win so the Sharks don't face the Sabres for the cup [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, is there anyone that gives more every night than Mike Grier? I was kind of hesitant of the contract he got, even after watching the playoffs last year, but I'd gladly offer him more. It's crazy how many frikin' breakaways he gets too! Now, if only he could finish 1/4th of em...
Old 04-19-2007, 07:23 PM

SWEET

0-3 on the powerplay 6 minutes into the game. Stick a fork in the Pens, they are done.