Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Dale Jr

What does anyone that cares think about Dale Jr signing with Hendricks?

I'm also wondering who people think will be Jr's crew chief. I know in times past on Eury Jr said he was going where Jr went. But I read about a month ago that Tony said that isn't necessarily the casse. I like tony but I also think Alan (current car 5 cc) would do a fine job.

I just hope kyle doesn't go to DEI because then anytime he finishes higher than Jr in a race people will be talking about how it wasn't DEI that couldn't win but Jr.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Dale Jr

Pretty wild to me. I haven't been keeping up too much with the gossip but I heard the other day that Childress was supposed to start a new team and that's where all the gossip was pointing. I'm blown away that Hendrick would let Kyle Busch go considering how well he's done.

I have my doubts about Tony Jr. And I doubt Busch would want to go to DEI since they seem to be behind the other big teams.

This just seems so weird, almost surreal that Jr, the old school southern boy, hero of the old guard NASCAR crowd is gonna be teammates with Gordon, Johnson, and Mears. It's just weird. I want to know what the future of DEI will be like without Jr. And btw, does Budweiser have their contract with DEI or with Jr?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty wild to me. I haven't been keeping up too much with the gossip but I heard the other day that Childress was supposed to start a new team and that's where all the gossip was pointing. I'm blown away that Hendrick would let Kyle Busch go considering how well he's done.

I have my doubts about Tony Jr. And I doubt Busch would want to go to DEI since they seem to be behind the other big teams.

This just seems so weird, almost surreal that Jr, the old school southern boy, hero of the old guard NASCAR crowd is gonna be teammates with Gordon, Johnson, and Mears. It's just weird. I want to know what the future of DEI will be like without Jr. And btw, does Budweiser have their contract with DEI or with Jr?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kyle's been outstanding, but he's apparently going to be difficult with his contract and with his successes is going to be much more expensive than Casey Mears. He also isn't going to bring in nearly as much revenue as Junior, but that goes without saying for basically anybody in the Cup series.

I would like to think Tony Eury is going to come with Dale to Hendrick, because that kind of friendship and team trust can't be easily replaced. Its been pretty well proven that Junior does better with Eury as his crew chief. I don't think he can go wrong with anything Hendrick will give him (Letarte and Knaus are ridiculous, and Busch and Mears's guys are doing very well as "the other two"). I wouldn't be surprised to see Teresa try to keep him with DEI just to spite Dale.

I'm looking forward to the day when I see Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt working together, if only for all the confused fans out there. The two guys are friends, and I'm sure they have a competitive fire in them that makes them rivals as the two faces of NASCAR, but if this works, will there be any team more dominant than Gordon-Johnson-Earnhardt? Obviously not. I've never been a Gordon fan, mainly because I was a Dale Sr. fan first and foremost, then passed that on to Junior. This should still be interesting.

Side note: This got long, but Bud has their contract with DEI. Hendrick still has sponsorship deals with the National Guard, Kellogg's, GMAC, and all that. The #8 is also the property of DEI. The 3 car is the property of Childress, I believe, so this also eliminates the chance of Junior driving the black #3, which I was kinda hoping would happen.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...will there be any team more dominant than Gordon-Johnson-Earnhardt?

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt it.

[ QUOTE ]
...I've never been a Gordon fan,...

[/ QUOTE ]

And here I thought you were cool Edge. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cody
Old 06-14-2007, 08:28 AM

I'm sure it's good for NASCAR to have their most popular driver on the dominant team, but is it really good for the fans to have one uber dominant team and make of car? I don't like it.

Hendrick has won 10/14 races, Chevy have won 13/14, and 10 of the top 12 in points are Chevy teams. Absurd.

I don't know why they'd replace Busch instead of Mears either. Money really shouldn't be an issue for them. Perhaps because Busch is a douche.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 AM

"Side note: This got long, but Bud has their contract with DEI. Hendrick still has sponsorship deals with the National Guard, Kellogg's, GMAC, and all that. The #8 is also the property of DEI. The 3 car is the property of Childress, I believe, so this also eliminates the chance of Junior driving the black #3, which I was kinda hoping would happen."

You may be right but I BELIEVE that the Bud deal expires after this year. But Jr has some kind of personal sponsership that conitnues through 2008. I know Bud said yesterday that they want to talk to Jr and Hendrick about sponsership.

IMHO I think Hendrick would rather have Mears than Busch any day of the week. Even w/o talking about any financial aspect of it.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:22 PM

Childress does indeed own the '3' and jr will probably never drive it.

Rover makes a good point about parity. This year is making me think of 97-98 when Gordon was winning almost every other race. I'd almost forgotten how irritating it was back then and its beginning to bother me now. I could go on and on about multi-car teams and and cookie cutter tracks but that would be another discussion altogether.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:35 PM

I don't think Jr wants to drive the 3.

Gordon is running well and luck is so much on his side right now it's crazy.

Junior is my favorite driver by far. Jr's bad luck is even crazier. Wrecks, blow ups etc. Not to mention the pit screw up on jr's own part in Vegas.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...will there be any team more dominant than Gordon-Johnson-Earnhardt?

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt it.

[ QUOTE ]
...I've never been a Gordon fan,...

[/ QUOTE ]

And here I thought you were cool Edge. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I'm not a Gordon hater, but like I said, I was a fan of Dale Sr., so that "rivalry" kinda carried over even after he died. I respect the hell out of Gordon because he's a ridiculous driver, and I loved watching him fly the "3" flag. Plus, the guys from Indiana are always at least okay with me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, the guys from Indiana are always at least okay with me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, if your going to pick an Indiana boy, pick someone who was born there, say Tony Stewart. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And I second that hope for parity again. This season has been pretty tough to watch at times, but it's impressive how Hendrick just pulled away so quickly.