Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Continue firing?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a turn bet will never cause a better hand to fold, FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe the most useless piece of "advice" ive ever received in a strat forum

[/ QUOTE ]

? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

A. just a completely obvious point, any ace has a straight draw, and any pair never folds... thats just obvious

B. i already know that a better hand wont fold the turn

the main point of the hand is:

enough of the time do neither of them have an ace/pair and will fold the turn coupled with if we bet the turn and are called do we bet the river when nothing comes in and win the pot enough of the time to continue rather then just check/folding.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 AM

Pretty decent parly of things needing to happen for you to win this pot. The biggest problem which I know you are aware of is that you will almost always need to 3 barrel this one home and hope that neither villian has anything or makes anything or gets stubborn without anything. That being said, it is going to be pretty tough to really know the best play without solid reads on your opponents and what is going on in the metagame. The forum probably can't work this one out since it is pretty feel-based but I think giving up is a decent idea which is advice I hate to give since I am always towing the conservative line. Hopefully, you sexy the turn enough to protect you in spots like this and get to see the river for free if nobody has anything.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully, you sexy the turn enough to protect you in spots like this and get to see the river for free if nobody has anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding! Nice post Surfdoc.

-DeathDonkey
Old 10-09-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he's saying don't bet

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, its hard to find a hand that isnt a pair, a draw or 2 overs. If button got 1 of them and coldcalled preflop, he got to be really stupid.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully, you sexy the turn enough to protect you in spots like this and get to see the river for free if nobody has anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding! Nice post Surfdoc.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, come on. He'd never sexy here on this board with 2 opponents, there are a ton of hands loving a free card.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding! Nice post Surfdoc.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, come on. He'd never sexy here on this board with 2 opponents, there are a ton of hands loving a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree I would never try check raising here and I really think it is an awfull spot to do so. Even if you do C-raise reasonably frequently they def are not going to expect you to do it here, therefore I don't see it working. Respectfully disagree with the Donkey of Death and SurfDoc on this one.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:59 PM

Well, for one, I was speaking more generally (assumed Surfdoc was too) than this exact board texture and situation about how people tend to bet bet bet and rarely CR the turn and then wonder why they can't get free cards OOP.

But looking at this board closely, I think this wouldn't be a horrible spot to CR with JJ or something, people make dumb bets all the time, especially in super aggro shorthanded online games. Ax might be able to convince himself he has the best hand (or can get another Ax to fold by betting turn and river), obviously its sort of unlikely anyone has a pair but they might have caught the turn. I don't think CRing here is a standard or even great play, but I think the way games are these days its never going to be "awful" - people just bet way too often when you check for no better reason than you checked.

-DeathDonkey
Old 10-09-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a turn bet will never cause a better hand to fold, FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe the most useless piece of "advice" ive ever received in a strat forum

[/ QUOTE ]

i was politely telling you to stove this simple problem yourself, douche.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:48 AM

i like c-f, or maybe CC. betting sux.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding! Nice post Surfdoc.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree I would never try check raising here and I really think it is an awfull spot to do so. Even if you do C-raise reasonably frequently they def are not going to expect you to do it here, therefore I don't see it working. Respectfully disagree with the Donkey of Death and SurfDoc on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was speaking in general terms and not really for this board texture. This turn is obviously a horrible spot to CR. I think you may be giving the average opponent too much credit (maybe I am not giving enough?) in thinking that they know I will screwplay the turn but not this particular turn. That implies a higher level of thought and assumes they know how I think which is not going to be the case too often hopefully if I game select well.