Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Scared of death

So I've been thinking a lot about death lately. I'm not religious in any way and what I basically believe in is when you die it's all over. You don't go to heaven/hell or become reborn or whatever. To me this is the worst thought imaginable. It scares the [censored] out of me, not like you're scared by a horror movie, this actually makes me sad. Knowing that you're never going to be able to think again that it's just all over. The universe will keep on going in eternity while you're just dead. No thoughts, nothing. Just eternal blackness.

A part of me says "this can't be it, there should be something more, life is pointless. ". I overhead two classmates talking about this some months ago.

Non religious guy: "Even though it's sad, I think death is the end".

Religious guy: "But if death is the end what is the point?"

Non religious guy: "Just life, having fun".

I think to myself, "wow this answer is total [censored]". How can it be the point if it's going to end. If all good things come to an end it's just sad.

I'm like 99.99% sure death is the end but actually hope I'm wrong and death is not the end. Even if this means Im going to hell I would still prefer that. Not having consciousness scares the [censored] out of me.

If I could press a button that made me religious and really believe in it I would do it immediately even though I think a lot of it is total [censored]. Having a reassurance that there's something more would be so nice to have. Even though there isn't. But Christians never find out that they lose. They think they go to heaven but they don't. Therefore they are the winners.

Have any of you had the same thoughts? If so how do you counter them?

edit: now that i think of it, this might not belong here. just move it to philosophy or psychology if it belongs there