Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Feeling lost with QQ as overpair in threebet pot

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The point is that by the time you raise, the odds youre now getting justify a call vs his range. He will do this with hands we beat often enough to justify a call with the pot odds we are being offered.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess the problem I have here is blowing 1/3 of my stack knowing I'm beat in this situation. I understand the pot odds issue, but why call if we are 90% certain we're beat? The typical response I see in many post similar to this one is, "I call, but I don't like it." If you don't like the call, why do it? Isn't it more prudent to save the extra money? I'm not a nit by any means, although you wouldn't know it by this post. I'm just trying to figure out why we call if we're beat.

AC

[/ QUOTE ]

You call because you are not always beat and more importantly your odds justify the call.

Try this:

You have $105 in your stack. You cap your KK with a $5 chip and open shove $100 into the pot. It folds around to the player on your right who shoves his stack of $105 into the middle and then accidentally exposes his AA.

Do you call the extra $5 knowing that you are beat?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:10 PM

That is an extreme example this one is not the same. Did you see my poker stove? I am getting 3.5-1 and im about 20% to win it.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 PM

You've got 22% equity in the pot, and against that range, you're 20%. If he's bluffing even less than a typical amount of the time, you've picked up your additional equity.

1) It's his first orbit, and he's already up $6. How'd he pick up that money? Was he aggressive? Did he showdown?

2) His shove is really a min-raise. He HAS to figure you're calling a lot.

3) What do you think he might think about you having a 3x stack and how do you think that weighs in what he thinks you're doing here?

1&2 are bigger factors than 3 - not everyone thinks about that kind of thing.

Here's a little something I've learned:

When I make a call based on good pot odds, I'm amazed at how often I'm ahead.

You can't put him solely on one or two hands, you can only assume a range. It's a tough hand against an unknown, but sometimes, you have to ask what makes the most sense. I think it's a call, but I think it's pretty close. He's probably only bluffing maybe 5% of the time.