Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: 30-60 hand against top poster

Posting blind: If Im hero, I'm not betting the river.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shawn, what's wrong with having a weak-tight image if it's incorrect? It's something we can exploit by making more aggressive plays counting on some serious fold equity to pad our EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love having a weak-tight image. Theres no other image I would prefer to have.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:43 PM

I bet this river and its correct for me to do so. Dunno about hero.

-DeathDonkey
Old 03-11-2007, 11:25 PM

FWIW my read on villain was that of tight ABC. I basically expected him to do some first level hand reading of my hand and act accordingly.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:27 PM

I don't know Justin nor do I know how far down the ladder he'd 3 bet a pocket pair out of the small blind.

Against a typical thinking TAG, I'd put that range down to about 77. Hero would then be ahead of 77, 88 and TT and behind 99, QQ, KK. When you mix in the somewhat more remote possibility that he is holding an ace, the numbers point to a check behind.

of course, I am seeing players get more aggro with smaller pairs, so if you think he'd push down into the 44-66 type range -and- pay off, then bet, though he'd have to put you specifically on KQ or KJ to justify the payoff.

That being said, I think I nearly always bet here which appears to be a mistake.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:28 PM

I think this is a pretty easy check. Any time I have KK or lower on a board with an Ace and I'm in a pot with a good player I feel like the checkraise from hell can come at any time and it can be a bluff just as easily as an Ace. Against a just decent player or bad player it's an easy bet, unless the bad player is very creative.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:53 PM

Joker --

Amen. I think people don't realize that when you change your plays to maintain a certain image, you're giving up immediate money. Here consensus is that Villain will call in this spot with (a) few worse hands or (b) no worse hands. So you're losing x% * $60 to contribute, probably insubstantially, to an image that might even be worse than the one you have. Crazy talk. I maintain my image pretty carefully and this is a play I'd almost never change for image-creation reasons.

--Nate
Old 03-12-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet this river and its correct for me to do so. Dunno about hero.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonna have to put a bit of an explanation into this one because handranges don't seem to agree, given that you raised UTG+1.

Rob
Old 03-12-2007, 01:33 AM

Mostly I don't think Justin would check a better hand to me twice on this board, so the preflop range doesn't matter nearly as much as the hands I can eliminate from the postflop range. Also he knows I might have a hand like KQ and peel that flop, so he is not going to always be able to put me on medium pocket pairs here. Finally I would need to call Justin's checkraise on the river for many of the same reasons.

-DeathDonkey
Old 03-12-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mostly I don't think Justin would check a better hand to me twice on this board, so the preflop range doesn't matter nearly as much as the hands I can eliminate from the postflop range. Also he knows I might have a hand like KQ and peel that flop, so he is not going to always be able to put me on medium pocket pairs here. Finally I would need to call Justin's checkraise on the river for many of the same reasons.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Vs Justin you need to be ahead 66% here since you're paying off a checkraise. So you think he check-calls with TT, 88, 77, and... or you think he gets horribly out of line with a wide range of hands vs a UTG+1 raiser and then bluff checkraises the river?