Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Live 20/40...Thin river call? [I hate being a calling station]

Stakes: $20/$40
Players: Fairly loose 9-handed. Aggressive table, but not too aggressive. Tricky, but not too tricky. *** 1/2 of 5 star game.

Principal Players:

UTG+1 – Loose aggressive prop middle-aged Chinese player. Raises many hands he enters pre-flop. Good post-flop player and ranks to be a winner, but still plays too many hands. Can definitely raise on expensive streets with less than two pair if he feels he’s good. His name is Frank.

LMP – Relative unknown youngish player. Raises don’t have to be premium.

CO – Very loose aggressive middle aged Hispanic(?). Talkative, friendly and drunk. Check-raises on flush draws and made hands on flop, but the guise is always gone when he checks the turn when he misses.

Button - Me. I’m fairly unfamiliar to the table as far as I see it and haven’t established much of an image. All the players except for Frank are new to me.

Preflop action: (1.5 small bets, 9 players)

UTG+1 limps [rare event as he raises most hands, put him on 2 broadway, A-fair, pocket pair or suited connector], LMP raises, CO cold-calls, on button I see A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and look left. There seems to be interest to call, but not strength behind to 3-bet. I call, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop action: (10.5 small bets, 5 players): A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] BB checks, UTG+1 checks, LMP bets, CO calls, I call, BB folds, UTG+1 check-raises, LMP calls, CO calls, I call.

Turn action: (9.25 big bets , 4 players) :3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG+1 bets, LMP drops, CO calls, I think and opt to just call.

River action: (12.25 big bets , 3 players) : J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG+1 bets, CO flashes A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] as he folds, I ???

I’d like opinions on all streets please. Results forthcoming.

Garland
Old 03-18-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Live 20/40...Thin river call? [I hate being a calling station]

Fold on the flop... If he plays well post flop then he has you at least out kicked, but most likely he has something like A5 hearts.

Turn maybe raise for a free showdown, Fold if he bets into you UI
Old 03-18-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold on the flop... If he plays well post flop then he has you at least out kicked, but most likely he has something like A5 hearts.

Turn maybe raise for a free showdown, Fold if he bets into you UI

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really want to free SD raise when you are drawing to the nuts and can't fold if 3 bet?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:41 PM

Preflop: It's close, but I'd call here as well.

Flop: I would raise. A lot of players will automatically make a continuation bet, and the loose player to your right could hold a wide range of hands. Even though I advocate raising here, I wouldn't want to give action if somebody else started betting and raising.

The way you played it, I would fold to the check/raise. There are very few hands a good postflop player would check/raise with here that you beat. Maybe A6s,A4-A2s, but I'm not even sure about those. I wouldn't want to call down to find out.

Just my opinion...
Old 03-18-2007, 09:12 PM

I see a couple of reasons for making this play:

1. You get the extra equity from the CO, who gets stuck for an additional bet and most likely is not taking away any of your outs.
2. Helps to slow down UTG+1 and gives you information about his hand, if it goes to 3-town then you can safely fold UI on the river.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:55 PM

The only thing a free SD raise does is charge ourselves for our own draw when we're behind. Get to showdown, if you make the nuts, raise.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:14 AM

fold preflop...this "no mans land" situation is exactly why cold calling with this hand sucks.

I would also fold on the flop c/r. Utg+1 just c/r the field on a drawless board= monster.

On the river, I just cant see any of Utg+1 holdings that you beat based on your description
Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 AM

I would have folded preflop, raised flop as played. Since that didn't happen I'd fold flop. Since that didn't happen I'd call turn. River I'm sure you lose but the pot is big at this point, hopefully he's massively overplaying a worse/same A, even if only 1 A remains. Since an A is exposed it means you're probably going to be shown a set of 5s instead of A5s.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:50 AM

Fold the river. The rest is fine. I'm not a huge fan of the preflop call even though you are pretty sure you will get a lot of players in just because you'll get yourself in a lot of difficult situations like this one.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:29 AM

when a non-maniacal/retarded player traps the whole field by c/ring the PF raiser on this flop you are never going to be good at showdown unimproved. this is a super easy river fold. having played with frank a couple of times i can't imagine him having anything other than A5/55 and maybe K5.

i also think this is an easy fold PF