Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: official end your downswing thread

I completely agree with up-grey-de.

I just had a 28 BI downswing, and everything he says is true. Take a few days off, and get on your feet again when you feel like playing again.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everytime i hit a break even or losing stretch I drop down to 3 tables, and along with forcing myself to focus on hands i'm not involved in, I sit there and vocalize my thoughts on each hand as it happens. I'll be assigning hand ranges out loud based on past action, justifying my action on the street, and expressing a game plan for current and future streets based on villains reaction and how they should be interpreted. Painfully maximize EV every step of the way and stop testicular atrophy (ie. fear) or karmic balance (ie. suckouts/luck) from clouding judgment. Essentially - force your A game so factors such as your confidence, dwindling bankroll, outstanding bills, constipation, sexual frustration ie. anything not part of the hand in front of you becomes irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This one is for tufat:

Have the american dollar stop depreciating.

He told me tonight about how much he lost today without even playing. It was funny IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had an idea. With the dollar losing it's value y'all with big bankrolls will lose lots of money over time. I'm offering you to keep your $$$ as €€€ in my €-Neteller account. I will of course feel obliged to take a small fee for my services but the proposition should still be +EV for both parts. PM me if interested. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 03:37 PM

omg... does anyone know longboy207. He just slowrolled me online... thats never happened to me before.

I feel violated.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:15 PM

I think the best way to stop a downswing is to forget about how high your bankroll was at its peak before the downswing and start fresh with what you have right now.

Nobody plays well when playing from behind (same with sports btw), but most people play better when they are ahead and in a mindset that they can crush the opposition.

Quick example. You start a new month with a $6k bankroll and run hot for a few days/weeks and bring it up to $10k. That's when a few bad beats occur, you drop $1k and tilt another $1k away. DO NOT FOCUS ON THE $10K YOU HAD BEFORE! As Mike Caro would say, "there's no such thing as coming back to even, you are already even" (or something like that). Therefore, take a break (another great advice) and start over with a fresh mind. "I have an $8k bankroll, let's see how it goes when i play the best i can" (not let's see if i can get it back to $10k today).
Old 11-08-2007, 04:21 PM

I'm myself through a downswing right now. I've been the last few days playing only 1 or 2 tables and reconstructing my game from scratch. I think there's a lot you can improve if you take all the time it takes to play only one table and think about the game, the strategy etc ... without any time limitation until you feel confident again in what you are doing.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
omg... does anyone know longboy207. He just slowrolled me online... thats never happened to me before.

I feel violated.

[/ QUOTE ]
how do you slowroll online?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I feel violated.

[/ QUOTE ]
how do you slowroll online?

[/ QUOTE ]

Timebank down with the nuts/very good hand (clear winner).
Old 11-08-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the best way to stop a downswing is to forget about how high your bankroll was at its peak before the downswing and start fresh with what you have right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is crazy good advice. I went from having $1400 at my peak down to $650 and it was so depressing. But now I'm trying to forget what I had at my peak and just focus on making good plays and it's working out pretty well. I also remind myself what I started with ($36) and that helps too.

Also, sometimes it's hard to recognize when I'm tilting but I think a telltale sign for me is when I feel like people are playing back at me with garbage and I start to get flustered... for example, when my cbet gets raised 3 times in a row or something (even if it's on 3 different tables against 3 different people). I feel like I need to start making more moves and start 3betting with garbage because I KNOW the person is FOS. Needless to say, that's not good.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:26 PM

Btw I completely disagree with the long break advice. Sure, 1 day is ok, but a couple of days... it just makes it worse psychologically, making it harder to return.

Imo the best is to move down like way low, and just dominate the table.

It feels great, replenishes confidence, also helps a bit with the bankroll. Then move back up slowly.

Also, trying a new style (looser, or tighter) helps alot. Its like its a totally new game, and you get to think over most decisions again, and dont do the "automatic mistakes" you have started to do.