Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 10:08 PM

Default 100NL: Top Pair Turns Into A Bluff

Villain is a 12/4 reg tagfish, and we know each other pretty well (I run about 14/9 and can be overly aggro at times). I usually just fire three shells with 43/set here, but I've been known to take strange lines with big hands against regs. Being a tagfish, he'd raise this flop against an average player, but he knows I probably don't have a gutshot, so a set is at least possible. When he smooth calls the flop, I'd say his range is probably sets, 77-TT, or just maybe A6s...43 is not even the least bit possible.

Good/bad bluff? Can I rep 43/set with this line and our history? The size of the raise really doesn't matter because he's only calling with a set. If I get called, I'm just c/f any river (including a 6).

And since I posted this hand, I might as well ask...what is everyone's normal line with this flop? Leading out sucks, c/c sucks, and c/f sucks...I never really know what to do.

UB NLHE - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 9 Players

Hero (SB): $102.30
BB: $143.05
UTG: $150.80
UTG+1: $125.50
MP1: $145.20
MP2: $101.45
MP3: $85.70
CO: $98.00
BTN: $100.90

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9 Players)
UTG calls $1.00, UTG+1 calls $1.00, 4 folds, BTN calls $1.00, Hero calls $0.50, BB checks

Flop: ($5) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $3.00</font>, 3 folds, BTN calls $3.00

Turn: ($11) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $6.75</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $22.50</font>
Old 09-01-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Re: 100NL: Top Pair Turns Into A Bluff

[ QUOTE ]
And since I posted this hand, I might as well ask...what is everyone's normal line with this flop? Leading out sucks, c/c sucks, and c/f sucks...I never really know what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm curious well. atm my line is to just c/f since it's a weak hand OOP against 4 people.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:02 PM

If it is a better flop for 76, I might lead out (straight draws, 4 to flush, etc).

You shouldn't usually donk this flop in a 5 way pot with TPBK first to act, expecting to take it down. You're going to get called more often (which I assume you know). More often than not by TPGK, or someone floating you with any random A,K, QJ, KT, etc...

Its not really profitable in a multi-way pot leading out here. Check fold more often than not, unfortunately is the best line IMO (at least w/ 4 others seeing the flop with you). If its a better flop I might check/call, or lead if its a great flop for 76. Not too often here though.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:15 PM

I own c/f on this flop. I played 76s for a reason and it was not to flop top pair.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:27 AM

As for turn, I don't think this is profitable or logical either.

What hands do you expect a TAG to fold to your raise when they lead out on turn there? Why would you want to turn your hand into a bluff with such a small pot and marginal hand against a TAG who is leading the turn? The percentage of times he folds here is small compared to the number of times he calls you with a better hand

It just doesnt seem logical. You gotta ask yourself why you are choosing a certain line. If you aren't sure why you are taking a certain line for a hand, you probably shouldn't be doing it

If you choose a certain line for a specific reason and can justify why it is +EV than go for it, but I don't really see what this accomplishes except bloating the pot w/ a 2nd best hand most of the time. If he has half the hands you think he is capable of holding for his range, he isnt folding here nearly enough where this line is good.

Edit: I re-read OP. I understand why you think its a good line, but I really don't think this a good play to incorporate into your game regularly in these types of situations. Sorry if this is too long, I just felt like giving some input
Old 09-02-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for turn, I don't think this is profitable or logical either.

What hands do you expect a TAG to fold to your raise when they lead out on turn there? Why would you want to turn your hand into a bluff with such a small pot and marginal hand against a TAG who is leading the turn? The percentage of times he folds here is small compared to the number of times he calls you with a better hand

It just doesnt seem logical. You gotta ask yourself why you are choosing a certain line. If you aren't sure why you are taking a certain line for a hand, you probably shouldn't be doing it

If you choose a certain line for a specific reason and can justify why it is +EV than go for it, but I don't really see what this accomplishes except bloating the pot w/ a 2nd best hand most of the time. If he has half the hands you think he is capable of holding for his range, he isnt folding here nearly enough where this line is good.

Edit: I re-read OP. I understand why you think its a good line, but I really don't think this a good play to incorporate into your game regularly in these types of situations. Sorry if this is too long, I just felt like giving some input

[/ QUOTE ]

I really just felt that c/c would guarantee that I'd lose the pot. Once he calls on the flop, I'm never ahead, so the fact that I have a pair is irrelevant, and the move just gets 77-TT to fold. Like you said, it's probably not the smartest idea in the world, though.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:14 AM

You're definetly right. Thats why most of the time with such a garbage flop, you have to c/f this more often than not when OOP in multi-way pot (as wrong as it may feel).