Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Misplayed on every street?

I've been having nightmares about this hand since Friday. You guys can create a poll if you want to debate which street is more horrific.

Backdrop: I'd just had a rush of premium starting hands, so I'd been raising a lot PF, which, in a game like the Commerce 20, calls attention to itself.

So I get 88 UTG and open-limp this time. Pots have been super-multiway, so I wasn't too worried.

Of course it gets folded to MP2 who raises, button cold-calls, BB calls.

Flop is 655. Checked to me and I donk. MP2 raises, button folds, BB cold-calls. (Quick reads: both are total unknowns; weekend tourists I've never seen before, been playing with them less than 30 minutes). I call.

Turn is 9. BB now donks. I call. MP2 calls.

River is a 4. BB now checks. I check. MP2 quickly bets, BB quickly calls... so I fold.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Misplayed on every street?

I think its fine honestly.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:06 PM

you are allowed one of this per session.
so you can beat a bluff and a 6x and 77???
Old 07-31-2007, 04:06 PM

You're up against a 5 like 90% and 87 10% of the time here when he leads that turn. That's the uber fish ILL DISGUISE MY HAND BY JUST CALLING line.

So you could fold the river UI pretty comfortably here.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:08 PM

think we shed MP2 on the turn with the raise ? It's pretty result oriented, but raising the turn can we interesting with 6 outs to the winner, a shot at a free showntown, and the chance to knock out MP2's better hand.

But to be honest the first time I read it, I couldn't find a lot of places I would have done something differently.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
think we shed MP2 on the turn with the raise ? It's pretty result oriented, but raising the turn can we interesting with 6 outs to the winner, a shot at a free showntown, and the chance to knock out MP2's better hand.

But to be honest the first time I read it, I couldn't find a lot of places I would have done something differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure raising turn is bad. Too much action went in on flop. When he bets turn he is going to showdown and with nothing less than a 9.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:13 PM

I think not 3-betting the flop is the biggest mistake. You really need to find out whether MP has an overpair, whether people have a 5 and you have to charge the people who are drawing esp. because you have some of their outs.

As played, I think the rest of the hand is fine, though I'm tempted to b/f the river. On the river, all you beat is an overcards bluff by MP2 and 76/86/FDand6 combo by BB. It happens some of the time, but the pot is relatively small because of the way you played this hand preflop/flop, so I doubt this situation occurs 1/12 times. If it does, it's close. If this did happen, deal with with PJ. Tanya says you fume alot when you make bad decisions. Learn to become tiltless.

I think one thing I'm starting to pick up is that turn donks followed by river checks almost often mean a combo hand that improved on the turn. Obviously, this could be either 9x or 6x with x being 7 or 8, which means there's no gurantee that you are still not ahead.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're up against a 5 like 90% and 87 10% of the time here when he leads that turn. That's the uber fish ILL DISGUISE MY HAND BY JUST CALLING line.

So you could fold the river UI pretty comfortably here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. Combo hands and 9's do this a large amount of time too. I don't know what 20/40 games you've been playing.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:18 PM

I am actually surprised that no one is having any issue with open limping with 88 even UTG.

I would've raised on turn trying to knock MP2 out and trying to get a free showdown. As played, folding river is fine, but I usually pay off, since that's what I do.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:21 PM

I think you're being way too hard on yourself. This sort of thing happens all the time. Maybe you're good, maybe not, maybe this and that on the flop. You're not sure if the 7 is good or not if it comes on the river but you've got to call the turn.

It's just another hand of poker. I think you played it ok. Take it easy.