Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 08:16 PM

Default I can\'t figure it out...PLEASE HELP

Alright, I've read a lot about poker. I'm still trying to master pot odds, implied odds, understanding my opponent etc, so I'm playing $2 NLHM SNGs at Full Tilt. I can't make any profit. I feel that I'm playing strong poker, but my results aren't there. Am I really THAT bad? I've played about 300 games and my profit is only $6. Yes, only $6. What the heck am I doing wrong? Despite me being put out 67 times on bad beats, what else is going wrong? Is 67 out of 268 normal for elimination bad beats?

What else should I read?
How should I study poker?
What training aids will make my game better?

Please help, I'm losing it....

thanks all
Old 09-10-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: I can\'t figure it out...PLEASE HELP

The problem here is that your results are there. However small, you have begun your poker career as a winning player. You've spent $660 (I'm assuming it's $2.20 to play a $2 STT) and have $666 returned - so even ignoring the very small return you are beating the rake. So it's not all bad. Most players even in these small games cannot beat the rake. No one can tell you what you are doing wrong from what you have written - are you playing too many hands early on, are you staying in pots when you know you shouldn't be, are you consistently getting knocked out on the bubble, are you overvaluing donkey-aces? The great thing about this game is that it is very easy to work out what is going wrong - play 10 games and keep a note of all the big pots you play and then repost.

Additionally, read up on the stickies in the STT forums.

As for you bad beat count - you are saying that about 20%-25% of the time you are eliminated on bad beats? Without further information that sounds pretty standard. Remember even if you were dealt AA every hand and always faced an allin before you make your move. you will lose nearly 20% of the time.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:29 PM

Thanks, I think I'll do that. In general, I play pretty tight. I limp with small pairs from middle and late. If they miss, I usually fold unless they are over pairs. Standard 3xBB bet with monsters from early position. I try not to get involved with mediocre hands until the blinds are big enough to justify it. Idk...enough rattling on for me, I'll take your advice and hopefully I you guys can help.

Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 PM

That sort of tight play isn't an issue in the early part of an STT. My guess is you need to open up your game as you get into the later levels. Watch the other players early on - you wont have much else to do if you are playing tight. Work out which ones are good and which ones are gambling, bluffing or just plain bad. If you are multitabling - STOP! - play one game at a time for the time being and make it more of a "game" in the truest sense of the word - take on your opponents one by one! If you get some sort of bad beat - enjoy it - you played the best - especially if you were first in the pot. If you are outplayed try to understand why.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That sort of tight play isn't an issue in the early part of an STT. My guess is you need to open up your game as you get into the later levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't done much reading on SNGs in particular (as opposed to other forms of poker) I can completely guarantee you that this is the problem.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:38 AM

SNGs are a very specialized form of poker. In some ways they are the most formulaic and math based of all structures. It all comes down to the ICM and often the correct play is not intuitive particularly when the blinds are large. You should really be reading the STT Strategy forum. There's nothing that compares. There isn't a really great SNG book out yet.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:22 PM

Alright, thanks guys.

Anyone know of any good articles or statistics that can help me learn to loosen up properly? Knowing me I'd jumps from playing premiums to playing 86s in one level change lol.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know of any good articles or statistics that can help me learn to loosen up properly? Knowing me I'd jumps from playing premiums to playing 86s in one level change lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post10393737
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post3457846