Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Re: winrates playing live?

Yea I play live cash for a living and am a little ashamed to say that I don't keep records for how long my sessions are. I realize this makes my opinion on this subject seem suspect, so take it with a grain of salt.

I am positive that you don't need to be a world class player to have a win rate above 4bb/h as long as you are playing in good games. This holds true for any structure of 5-10, $1000 max all the way up to the no cap games.

The biggest key is table selection, and playing during prime hours (weekends, late at night). I wish I had tangible stats I could rattle off to back this up, but unfortunately as I said before I don't. Though I still think I have enough live cash experience to make that statement confidently.

-Jerry
Old 08-22-2007, 03:12 AM

My last 30ish hours of play at live $1/$2NL I am at $17.50/hour. Small cardroom where it is a rarity to have more than 2 tables going, only oen Thur-Sun, so there are no grinders who play there.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My last 30ish hours of play at live $1/$2NL I am at $17.50/hour. Small cardroom where it is a rarity to have more than 2 tables going, only oen Thur-Sun, so there are no grinders who play there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so tempted to move this thread to the beginers forum because the responses have been very poor - 30 hours is a drop in the bucket, it won't even begin to tell you if your a winning player let alone provide an accurate winrate. You guys should all read Mason's Gambling Theory and Other Topic.s
Old 08-22-2007, 07:04 AM

After 6 to 7 thousand hours come back and tell us where you are win rate wise.
No-limit has only been back for 4 years now.
I have seen many come to the game over this time, win at a good rate to start only to bust after the second year.
This stuff about winning $25 per hour or so over 5 to 6 hundred hours means little to nothing.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea I play live cash for a living and am a little ashamed to say that I don't keep records for how long my sessions are. I realize this makes my opinion on this subject seem suspect, so take it with a grain of salt.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't actually take detailed records of your sessions, it doesn't matter how many hours you've put in, you'll never know your winrate. Its way too easy to lie to yourself.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Live is much, much easier than online, and the preflop raises are generally larger (5x or 6x, and in some games 10+x) making it play like a bigger game with higher possible winrates.

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes it play like a "bigger game" sort of, but with "shorter stacks" which hurts your win. It plays like a .10/.25 online game, but playing with only $10 stacks. The blinds are irrelevant in $1/2 live play.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Live is much, much easier than online, and the preflop raises are generally larger (5x or 6x, and in some games 10+x) making it play like a bigger game with higher possible winrates.

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes it play like a "bigger game" sort of, but with "shorter stacks" which hurts your win. It plays like a .10/.25 online game, but playing with only $10 stacks. The blinds are irrelevant in $1/2 live play.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general I concur. This seems to be a very common misunderstanding in the B&M forum, the 1/2, 2/5 live games play like bloated micro-limit games online. Players in the live 1/2 games could learn a lot from the online micro players about adjusting to game texture and pot size relitive to effective stacks.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:29 PM

I play a 1-2 300 game for about 25 hours a week for two years. My winrate is $43/hour over that time frame. There is a $5 pot rake.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play a 1-2 300 game for about 25 hours a week for two years. My winrate is $43/hour over that time frame. There is a $5 pot rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

2,600 hours is enough to only begin to get a clue about your winrate, your still way off from reality.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:55 PM

you should really start keeping records