Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2006, 02:29 PM

Default PokerRoom.com Responds...

Hi all,

We’d just like to take this opportunity to reassure everyone that that the cookie exploit brought up yesterday does not work on PokerRoom.com. We continuously monitor sites for information that may be used against us or our players for unsavoury purposes and whenever statements like this one yesterday surface we act on them instantly ensuring that our systems are as safe as they can be. We take great pride in a having a task force fully competent in dealing with issues like this one swiftly, forcefully and instantly.

We take all attempts to compromise our security very seriously. Regardless of the actual threat level.

As far as we have been able to conclude, not one single player was affected either directly or indirectly but this exploit.

In general, when using internet being suspicious of odd looking links is always a very good idea.

Hopefully this will be the end of it so that we can now go back to offering all poker players the most unique poker experience online.

C u at the tables!

Sincerely,
PokerRoom.com

Edit/MH: See related thread, here.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Re: PokerRoom.com Responds...

What does everyone think? I am safe to start playing there?
Old 03-22-2006, 02:51 PM

How about you do something about the worst exploit on PokerRoom network - your outrageous rake?!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:52 PM

PokerRoom.com,

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but you seem to be particularly vague and very careful about tense and word choice in your post. It is unclear from your post whether this exploit existed and was fixed, or never existed in the first place.

I'm sure you're all hesitant to come out and say "our website was exploitable yesterday, but we've fixed it", but if there is a chance that any of your customers were affected, they have a right to know.

I just looked at the documented exploit and your website and it does appear that either the exploit did not work, or it has been fixed.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:38 PM

Thank you Pokerroom that is nice to hear.

But can you tell us what you are doing to fight the other threat to your games - the recent attempt to ban all online gaming in the US. Are you going to try to fight this in some way, or are you just planning on banning all US players from playing on your site so you won't have to bother with all the US baloney. I read on another forum that many, if not all, poker sites will probably just go ahead and not let anyone from the US play if this current bill in the US is passed [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about you do something about the worst exploit on PokerRoom network - your outrageous rake?!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But the ongame network is probably the villian when it comes to the rake since the system is the same on all the skins.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:34 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing regarding the tense of this post. It is not clear whether or not this did in fact exist at one time. I am a web developer and read through the exploit and find it entirely plausible that this did exist at one time, though now fixed. It's easy to dismiss these exploits as another guy claiming that poker is rigged. Although, the specific exploit details make perfect sense in this case, and would apply solely to the way that Pokerroom is setup. I would appreciate some clarification on the behalf of pokerroom.com.

Also, I am concerned that session hi-jacking seems like it would be feasible since pokerroom does not require you to reauthenticate when you use the same cookie with a new ip address. I see this is a potential issue. Can this be addressed? Even if this exploit has never worked, it is still an issue that someone on a completely different network can somehow obtain your cookie and then gain access to the website and games.

Jellyroll
Old 03-22-2006, 06:56 PM

this site was always "shaddy" to begin with. so many action situation for such tight tables. i honestly felt that i was manipulated. i would never, never trust these guys.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this site was always "shaddy" to begin with. so many action situation for such tight tables. i honestly felt that i was manipulated. i would never, never trust these guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot