Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: I make every hand hard on myself

[ QUOTE ]
i bet 35 on the river vs shpanko here

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. A bare Ace or other marginal holding is rarely calling 104 or whatever, and I want to optimize against marginal hands because I'm putting him on those WAY more than 2-pair or better with this line.

If he shoves, well, Hero has a decision to make.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i bet 35 on the river vs shpanko here, u guys saying bet 100 dont know how to extract vs thinking players

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agree, how does villain check two pair here on the river when hero's hand looks like a flush draw that may or may not have hit the ace or king? Villains most likely hand is something like QJ which he will pay off a tiny bet but will no way pay off $100. I might even bet less, like $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

u say hero's hand looks like a flush draw, how does 20 accomplish that? Bet big since ur hand is disguised and could easily be a busted draw - most big hands jam turn and most mediocre ones either fold turn, check behind river or make a smaller value bet. Only bet small if u think hes on a draw and could maybe induce something from him, but still not 20 since that would be transparent. BTW, id bet smaller versus fishy players (i dunno if he is) fwiw (obviously bet big against calling stations though).
Old 11-18-2007, 01:10 PM

$70 at most plz..
Old 11-18-2007, 01:11 PM

I dunno if this influences things, but here's a hand we had played 6 hours prior to the hand in the OP.

Full Tilt Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: $420
BB: $200
UTG: $239
MP: $150.10
CO: $91.60
Hero (BTN): $200

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $7</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $7, SB calls $6, BB folds

Flop: ($23) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $13</font>, SB calls $13, MP calls $13

Turn: ($62) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $32</font>, SB calls $32, MP folds

River: ($126) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $66</font>, SB calls $66

Results: $258 Pot ($3 Rake)
SB mucked T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Eights) and LOST (-$118 NET)
Hero showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (two pair, Aces and Kings) and WON $255 (+$137 NET)

(Yes, I realize I need to bet more everywhere)
Old 11-18-2007, 01:12 PM

reinforces my point of 70 on river
Old 11-18-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, obviously his call on the river in the 2nd hand was a bluffcatcher (not a very good call but w/e)- which means he is willing to call down if he thinks ur bluffing, making another small bet like that will just scream value bet and will only get called by the hands in his range which beat value bets.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Yes, I realize I need to bet more everywhere)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. I mean, it worked out pretty well.

These bet sizing discussions are a little difficult because so much of SSNL at 100BB is just purely mechanical... so you usually have little reason to change it up... so it gets tougher to get reads/project image based on betsizing.

It gets much more interesting deeper-stacked/higher buyins. I had a buddy who (used to) play deep and high on Absolute and he would change his bet sizing up all the time.

Anyhoo...
Old 11-18-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i bet 35 on the river vs shpanko here

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. A bare Ace or other marginal holding is rarely calling 104 or whatever, and I want to optimize against marginal hands because I'm putting him on those WAY more than 2-pair or better with this line.

If he shoves, well, Hero snap calls

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-18-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, obviously his call on the river in the 2nd hand was a bluffcatcher (not a very good call but w/e)- which means he is willing to call down if he thinks ur bluffing, making another small bet like that will just scream value bet and will only get called by the hands in his range which beat value bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously its a bluff catcher but he looks at it and sees that he has sick odds and knows you only need to be bluffing here like 25% of the time or something for him to call profitably. Since our opponent has a tendency to make these calldowns and we know he's capable of it we bet this way for value. Only after your opponent adjusts should you change, you are thinking at too high of a level to think we need to bet a lot to vary our play as our opponent will not see a bigger bet as a difference in play. In fact it looks even more like a made hand.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:10 PM

also what US said is good