Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 04:58 PM

Default B&M 3/6 Rivered two pair in huge pot

Loose, mostly passive Friday night B&M 3/6 game.

My reads:

SB – Asian, LAGgy, raises light
UTG+1 – Loose, passive pre-flop, more aggressive post-flop, will bluff, calls down light
CO – older Australian woman waiting to get into stud game, loose but plays better post flop.

I’m on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, 2 more limps, CO limps, I raise, SB 3 bets, BB calls, called around to CO who caps, I call two and everyone calls.

Since SB raises pretty light, I wasn’t very worried about his 3 bet and the CO cap seemed to just be a might as well cap it. AJo is not a good multi-way hand, so I don’t really like this.

Flop (7 players, 27 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to UTG+1 who bets, called around to me, I call, everyone else calls.

I’m calling here just because the pot is huge, I have an overcard and nobody but UTG+1 has shown interest and he doesn’t necessarily have a K.

Turn (7 players, 17 BB) [5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to UTG+1 who bets, 1 fold, but everyone else calls to me, I call, everyone else calls

I might now have the best hand. I have at least 3 outs, maybe 5 if no one has clubs. Even with 3 outs, I think I have odds to call here.

River (6 players, 23 BB) [5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to UTG+1 who bets, 1 fold, CO calls, I … call or raise?

Nobody except UTG+1 has shown much interest in this pot. I doubt he has QT, AK or a set, but he doesn’t raise premium hands preflop so he could have anything. There are 3 more people to act who might call if I call, but less likely to call if I raise. Given the size of the pot, I should get calls from smaller 2 pairs and Ax. Raise or call and why? What should I do if UTG+1 3 bets after a raise?
Old 11-03-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: B&M 3/6 Rivered two pair in huge pot

That he doesnt raise his big hands pre flop, I call this river and go for the over calls.

I think this is a classic overcall situation.

No matter how many bets it is back to you, the pot is huge so i think you have to call.
However if UTG+1 3 bets, you are behind most of the time.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That he doesnt raise his big hands pre flop, I call this river and go for the over calls.

I think this is a classic overcall situation.

No matter how many bets it is back to you, the pot is huge so i think you have to call.
However if UTG+1 3 bets, you are behind most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I concur. There's only one person left that can call if I"m reading that correctly. So maybe I raise and hope that CO calls too. But that's only if I"m sure I"m not going to get threetowned.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:12 PM

The situation on the earlier streets sux. You had bad relative position on the aggresser and couldn't project your hand. Now you're in about the best situation you could be with the runner-runner, however you could easily be behind utg+1s set. Letting others in at this point is unlikely to lose you the pot so I think as Bubble says there's most value in overcalls. Call and hope everyone else does as well.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:12 PM

Hmmm, good sized pot but your outs aren't clean. A Jack on the turn puts str8 out and the Jack of clubs isn't not so good. Ace of clubs as well? As played I would just call the ribba here.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 AM

there's a decent portion of the time i overlimp AJo with that many limpers and i have the button.

raising shows an immediate profit so it's a good play.

not raising allows you to maximize the value of your position by controlling the pot size early. it also allows you to push bigger edges and induce larger mistakes from your opponents later in the hand. in the right game texture it can prove to be more profitable than building a gigantic pot with a relatively small egde, setting yourself up to get drawn out on a huge portion of the tiime that you make your hand(which is usually top or middle pair given that AJo is a top pair hand).
Old 11-04-2007, 02:08 AM

as played, i guess you are pretty much a slave to the pot as long as one bet is going in.

on the river, i would raise. people will call with lower two pair, kings, aces, and maybe worse.

the pot's big so they'll often pay off pretty light.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jo is not a good multi-way hand, so I don’t really like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you decide to peel the flop? Thats a horrible line.

pre-flop calling 2 bets is fine on the button because of CO's range.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was getting 30-1 odds on the flop peel. I can’t see folding an A overcard for one bet at 30-1.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was getting 30-1 odds on the flop peel. I can’t see folding an A overcard for one bet at 30-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
AJo is not a good multi-way hand, so I don’t really like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was your own quote, why aren't you taking your own advice? SB was the 3-better, he is still left to act - what range of cards do you put him on? Why are you peeling with a hand that has tremendous reverse implied odds? You might be playing to 2-3 outs at best assuming top pair is good (it might not be in such a huge multi-way pot). AK is commonly played this way by passive players in the SB and they usually call down because in their minds they cannot fold such a strong hand pre-flop.

remember you are not closing the action... this is a very dangerous line when you have a hand that has high reverse implied odds.

fold the flop. Remember an A overcard might only be worth 1 out if someone else has a bigger kicker.