Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: QQ, Commerce, Deep... so [censored] typical.

against an ace obv grim, he's betting pretty small, and like I said it'd take some sort of live read that I could push him off of it
Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 PM

it just seems i have 0 ability to push people off top pair no matter what i bet
Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it just seems i have 0 ability to push people off top pair no matter what i bet

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe something to do with the facepaint and the constant screaming?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
against an ace obv grim, he's betting pretty small, and like I said it'd take some sort of live read that I could push him off of it

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah this is my thinking also. when his turn bet goes out, it goes out with the knowledge that if you call, you almost never have an ace. then you get to face another awesome huge bet on the river because he is the only one in the hand who can have an ace. i guess you can have AK, but not many opponents will give you credit for floating AK on a flop like this. when he bets the river, shoving is so weird that i think AK and similar hands will be very very confused. you could also be ahead. he could also have TT which is what you hope to rep. tough spot...but i'm usually mucking on the turn like cts said but if i decide to continue i'm doing so as a bluff.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and announce that I have the exact came hand as last time.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with talking too much is that your opponents will interpret it and adjust, but with comments like this you really have no way of knowing how they'll adjust.

would you say this if you had aces? probably not. people who talk when they have the nuts generally give off a pretty strong "i have the nuts" vibe. there's a decent chance the guy interpreted your speech as "not that strong" and he's playing accordingly. on the other hand, he could have interpreted it totally differently.

making comments about your hand without a specific reason to do so is giving away waay too much info for free imo.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:51 AM

His turn bet is really cool......Do you ever put in a flop raise here?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:01 AM

c/ push riv?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:06 AM

I think you need to fold the turn because you'll be facing a really difficult river spot like this far too often.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and announce that I have the exact came hand as last time.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with talking too much is that your opponents will interpret it and adjust, but with comments like this you really have no way of knowing how they'll adjust.

would you say this if you had aces? probably not. people who talk when they have the nuts generally give off a pretty strong "i have the nuts" vibe. there's a decent chance the guy interpreted your speech as "not that strong" and he's playing accordingly. on the other hand, he could have interpreted it totally differently.

making comments about your hand without a specific reason to do so is giving away waay too much info for free imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quite agree with this. Basically don't make comments unless you are confident you are smarter than your opponents in the whole table-talk metagame. (Gah, first time I have used the m-word on 2+2.)

In this specific instance I think a smart player will tend to suspect you have a biggish pair when you say this.

The reason is the most obvious interpretation of the comment is that you don't have a pair, since pairs are statistically rarer than non-pairs. Therefore since people almost always think they are being sneaky when they make comments, you probably do have a pair.

As for its being specifically a big pair, well for one thing the fact you raised makes it more likely, but also if you were raising like with 33 or something you would be less likely to be feeling chatty and making stupid comments about your hand.

But that's all pretty obvious... my main point is that as with showing hands, table-talk can be really bad unless you happen to be very clever about it.

(That sort of reminds me of these young Euro players who show EVERY SINGLE BLUFF, with the consequence that you know not only what spots they were bluffing in but what spots they were not bluffing in too. So stupid.)
Old 05-22-2007, 04:14 AM

if it goes check check on the turn whats our action on the river?