Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 06:01 PM

Default 20/40 Commerce, a fine point on straddling.

Game is playing very loose-aggressive, I've been there for about an hour and my image is probably a good LAG. From the few comments Villain made so far my impression of him is same (apparently he's a regular). He's got about 5k, I cover.

I straddle for 80, 2 limpers, Villain limps in MP3, blinds fold, I take 2 seconds to bitch that I can't even raise and check. I have K,3o.

Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (380)

I check(?), fishy EP limper bets out 260, Villain raises to 660. What my move?

Kirk
Old 12-14-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Re: 20/40 Commerce, a fine point on straddling.

to quote foxwoodsfiend, lead this flop so your hand doesn't become too transparent, but I think as is, you have to raise this flop. I would assume my hand is best, make it like 2.4k, and reevaluate if he shoves. The only thing going for you in this hand is that your play looks kind of like a resteal squeeze of the competent player's theoretical steal raise v. the fish.
dlpnyc
Old 12-14-2006, 06:57 PM

Call flop bet, lead with moderate bet on turn, fold to shove
Old 12-14-2006, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Game is playing very loose-aggressive, I've been there for about an hour and my image is probably a good LAG. From the few comments Villain made so far my impression of him is same (apparently he's a regular). He's got about 5k, I cover.

I straddle for 80, 2 limpers, Villain limps in MP3, blinds fold, I take 2 seconds to bitch that I can't even raise and check. I have K,3o.

Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (380)

I check(?), fishy EP limper bets out 260, Villain raises to 660. What my move?

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you basically have the nuts if no one attacked your straddle? I would call and fold if it goes re-raise/push, otherwise lead or even check-raise turn.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:01 PM

I really didn't like cold-calling in that spot given that will most likely make it a 3-handed pot and I will not be happy on most turns. I should have lead the flop, more than likely. 2.4k is way too much since if Villain shoves it will be less than a min-raise back to me, and I will be calling with a 2nd best hand vast majority of the time, imo.

Anyhow, I took about 7 seconds and made it 1600 even. EP guy quickly folded. Villain took 7 seconds more to weigh his options and pushed all in, 3200 back to me. Now what? Do we hate the flop check-raise?

Kirk
Old 12-14-2006, 11:33 PM

how does leading make this any easier/better to play? isnt the check raise optimal here ?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:35 PM

I would definitely lead the flop as played I would cold call all of it. It's Commerce 20/40 I really don't think cold calling defines your hand that much or anything. They'll still put you on JT, A9, or some crap.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would definitely lead the flop as played I would cold call all of it. It's Commerce 20/40 I really don't think cold calling defines your hand that much or anything. They'll still put you on JT, A9, or some crap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-15-2006, 01:23 AM

I would call. The fact that u stated that "i cant even raise" points out to the villain that you didnt have a pair, (to make a set) and u cant have a strong king or even possibly k9. Although i think opponent most likely has k9 or 99, you have to ask yourself if he did have such a strong hand would he want to raise the fish out of the pot with a board which is not draw heavy? Anyhow even if u are up against these two hands you always have two outs.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:46 AM

its WA/WB, cold call and go from there. id lead the flop though, otherwise all the medium strength hands you could have fall out of your range. idk how commerce plays, but i would lead this flop