Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Whats the \"best\" sport?

ice hockey is pretty great. It's got speed, finesse (stickhandling etc), collisions and fights. Also, sharp blades on your feet and a long club. It's similar in ways to american football, soccer, and basketball. Football imo lacks what bball and soccer have as far as fakes and moves. You can certainly fake someone out but it doesn't involve control of a ball like in soccer/bball.

Pretty much everything else lacks what football has as far as hits. Hockey has it all.

It's really expensive though, and concussions are probably more common in this sport than most others.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:11 PM

Football fails pretty miserably in this challenge. Tons of equipment required, high risk of injury, and from what I understand of the game (not much at all) requires a ton of people to have a proper game.

Ice hockey also, equipment, injury, and getting a skating rink make it far from ideal.

The ones I think are the best from personal experience are martial arts, golf, tennis.

Martial arts (kickboxing for me) was really great in all categories I listed in the OP.

Golf -really social, fun, but obviously very expensive. As for excercise, I think if you walk the course carrying your bag its a pretty decent workout.

Tennis - Also good all around

Rock climbing, rowing, and surfing all sound like fun, and I am gonna try them out when I get a chance. Rock climbing sounds especially appealing because I think it would build some muscle, not just endurance, and be really cool to actually climb a mountain.

I also forgot to mention fencing. Did some at school this year and was tons of fun, and some pretty decent exercise. Definitely not the best becuase its not very popular. Also didn't like the people much, I think I didn't like the people much, but that might be because it was on a team and I was one of the worse fencers.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:39 PM

soccer or basketball.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:41 PM

If football fails miserably so does golf. Football doesn't require much equipment. Hockey has much more, and golf has even more expensive equipment. You need about a 1/4 mi square at least to have an 18 hole course to play on.

You can definitely play football with some buddies with just the ball.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:19 AM

Yoga
Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 AM

ddr
Old 10-05-2007, 12:41 AM

soccer ldo
Old 10-05-2007, 01:29 AM

Basketball is pretty good cardio if you play full court.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If football fails miserably so does golf. Football doesn't require much equipment. Hockey has much more, and golf has even more expensive equipment. You need about a 1/4 mi square at least to have an 18 hole course to play on.

You can definitely play football with some buddies with just the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Football definitely requires a ton of equipment, for both playing and practicing.

Soccer is a great one when it comes to needing pretty much no equipment. Some of the best players in the world got that way by kicking a ball made of rags around, scoring goals between two t-shirts thrown on the ground.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:02 AM

wow Golf is not a decent work out and isnt even close to the list let alone the top 10 with this criteria.

Football doesnt require tons of equipment. It requires a football and 8 cones(possibly more) or a high school field. Also cleats if youd like.

Id say Soccer, Basketball and Ultimate are at the top 3 that are best rounded, most others lack big time in some area(s).

Rowing, swimming? Seriously guys? "Best" sport? This isnt what sport gives the best overall workout.