Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: San Francisco Bay Area: Your favorite things to do or places to go

c,

Memphis Minnie's is far from superb BBQ. It is marginal at best, though I guess decent enough for SF BBQ. You're not from the South, are you?

For BBQ in SF, you can get ribs at Big Nate's, which are pretty damn good. Also Brother-in-Law's BBQ used to be very good, I haven't been back since they reopened as Lily's. Assuming it's the same, they make excellent ribs and brisket and sausage. That's pretty much it when it comes to BBQ in the city. Oakland has a few good places. I've only been to Everett & Jones, which is pretty good - I like the brisket. But apparently there's better over there.

For some outstanding fried chicken and soul food, Powell's Place is a great place to go. http://powellsplace.citysearch.com/page/o459/Menu.html

"there's something satisfying about a place where you can get a dinner of smothered pork chops, liver and onions, or ox tails (with two sides plus corn muffins) for under $10."

That says it all. Legit. I prefer to just get the fried chicken to go from there with a bunch of sides, so good.

Magnolia is indeed a good brew pub with very good beers, but a sorta crowded bar area. 21st Amendment and Rogue are two other excellent brewpubs that have better bar areas.