Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: A trend I want to kick... (poker content but life application)

[ QUOTE ]
In terms of number 3 its really easy; Just dont play until all your work is done.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you move poker to the bottom of your priority list your results will most definitely suffer. Poker (online poker specifically) is a very brain demanding task and it’s hard to function optimally when tired.

With all that said getting everything else done might not be a bad idea, just be aware your results will suffer.

I think it's important to be focusing your time on activities that make you happy both now and in the future and it doesn’t sound like school is doing either one of those for you. I personally never plan on getting using a degree and just take a few courses of subjects I’m interested in to diversify and my life.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:42 PM

IMO, 6-18 months is a much better horizon to invest in real estate than 3-4 yrs.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 PM

good2cu, GGBman,

Yeah, I dont play when tired either. For example, I just finished all my [censored] I needed to today (pretty much non-stop work from 10am to 9pm) and now have a few free hours before I go to bed. I wont play poker though cause I realise how tired I am mentally. I would and do play really sloppy at this point. So I just dont do it. Either ill go out drinking/partying now or just chill and watch a movie or something. Sure it means I dont get in a ton of hands a month when schools in (played only 8k hands in the last 2 weeks school has been running, and thats 8 tabling) but I get all my stuff done, do well in school and have a good social life.

The moneys going to be there when I graduate in 8 months, no need to get it all now. Besides, is an extra 80k during the school year really gonna be worth dropping my GPA from 3.7 to 3.2? To me the answer is obviously no. The money wont change my life while the lower GPA might in terms of preventing me from being able to do/go where I want.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:57 AM

ahnuld - you are definitely better disciplined than most.

Some of this just boils down to work-ethic and getting to your studies. I was never able to do this when I was in college and I didn't have any poker as a distraction at all. I was just lazy and it's obviously not uncommon.

So some of these current situations of "poker gets in the way of my studies" and similar strike me as potentially false.
Maybe it is poker somewhat.
But a lot of times it's just a person who doesn't have the discipline/determination to do the work and if poker wasn't part of the distraction then something else would be.

ggbman's ideas that his money lead to him not having as much motivation to do the work have merit of course.
But there are plenty of not-rich college kids who KNOW that they need to be doing better and have every incentive in the world to do so and who tell themselves this over and over who still just can't consistently do what they know they need to be doing.

So perhaps ask yourself: Is poker really to blame? Or is it possible I could still be this lazy about the studying stuff even without poker?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I make sure to always be ahead of the class readings. For example, normally in the course outlines it will say we are covering subject blah blah next class (chapters 2,3). So ill make sure to read those chapters the day before (or earlier). Unless you are taking a reduced course load you should be reading a chapter or two every night if you decide to keep up. So do that, take care of assignments when yo

u can, and play cards only after. I cant tell you an exact amount of time necessary to study. Normally in midterm or finals season im in the library 12 hours a day (sometimes for 4 weeks straight) and dont play any cards at all. You just need to figure out how much work is required to get an A and make sure you do that for every course.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is really good advice. i wish it weren't so damn hard to follow. in theory it shouldn't be, but it is. i regret not doing this in college, and i wish i was capable of doing it now in grad school.

i guess what it comes down to is somehow finding the motivation that i have a day before deadlines a little earlier.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:39 AM

I for one was incredibly lazy at school before poker. Poker just gave me an excuse.

Everyone here will tell you otherwise but it sounds to me like you have no reason to be in school other than society telling you to be.

From what I know of you, you make very good money. I'm assuming your looking at real estate from an investment standpoint and not being an agent, and thus will never need to be hired by someone.

Everything you need to know about real estate can be learned on your own(in far less time). The amounts of money you could make if not wasting your time on school are huge. Huge sums of money go a long way in real estate investing.

You CAN always go back if everything falls apart.

I dunno, just cant see why you are still there. Maybe I missed something regarding your aspirations in life.

-Evan

Edit-This is not an "anyone who wants to play poker should drop out" post. But rather specific to OP and his situation.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone here will tell you otherwise but it sounds to me like you have no reason to be in school other than society telling you to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's more like an education gives him a peace of mind because he's afraid of the uncertainty that comes with playing poker professionally and thus can't predict his future forecast down the road. What if poker dies next year and he doesn't know anything besides ranges and equities? How is he going to maintain his baller status?

From what I understand, ggbman dislikes school or has little interest in the subject. He enjoys making money via poker more. And after that, he will use his winnings to leverage himself and ball out in the real estate business. But what if he start losing moneys? What if his real estate plan choke? Then what will he do?

In the words of Alan Greenspan, "the one thing all human beings do when they are confronted with uncertainty is pull back, withdraw, disengage." At least Hero is kicking it forward [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 AM

If your plans in life are to go into the business world of real estate and never getting a job, don't sweat over your GPA, because that number won't mean diddly squat in the business world.

I made the transition from poker to business and the only thing I wish I did was make more money from poker so that my business start would have been much easier.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's more like an education gives him a peace of mind because he's afraid of the uncertainty that comes with playing poker professionally and thus can't predict his future forecast down the road. What if poker dies next year and he doesn't know anything besides ranges and equities? How is he going to maintain his baller status?

From what I understand, ggbman dislikes school or has little interest in the subject. He enjoys making money via poker more. And after that, he will use his winnings to leverage himself and ball out in the real estate business. But what if he start losing moneys? What if his real estate plan choke? Then what will he do?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no success in real estate without choking a few times and failing a bunch of times until you are successful. In fact, I don't know of any successful real estate investor that didn't choke a couple of times but refused to give up and kept going at it.

The simple answer to that question:

"But what if he start losing moneys? What if his real estate plan choke? Then what will he do?"

The answer to that is the same answer you have when you go on a poker downswing, you keep playing and you never give up.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the words of Alan Greenspan, "the one thing all human beings do when they are confronted with uncertainty is pull back, withdraw, disengage." At least Hero is kicking it forward [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Slowhabit,
I would agree that achieving his education goals is giving him peace of mind. But, this piece of mind is coming from simply doing what society tells him is best. He admittedly is not even studying a subject he is very interested in as doing so would be too time demanding to pursue his poker goals.
If poker fails I feel that someone as smart as OP would be able to find other ways to support himself while doing meaningful work without a degree in a subject he has marginal interest in.

Also, I'm in a simlair postion to OP so my veiws are terribly tainted by my own situation.