Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Unorthodox Sports Team Management

I don't why you guys have such a problem with the football example. For one thing, these:

[ QUOTE ]
Stack your squad with easily interchangable players
Furthermore you should almost NEVER punt, unless it's basically 4th and 5 or longer or your field position is atrocious.

[/ QUOTE ]

are basically Bill Belichick exaggerated. The teams he suggested emulating were highly successful as well. Aside from the suggestion of running tons of trick plays for [censored] and giggles, what's the problem?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Paul Westhead won the NBA title with LA and then already did that at LMU and the Denver Nuggets.

'At the conclusion of the 1989-1990 season, Westhead left LMU for the NBA's Denver Nuggets, a position he held for two seasons. His tenure in Denver was best known for attempting to incorporate the run-and-gun offense that worked for LMU to the NBA.

However, while Denver averaged a league-best 119.9 points per game in 1990-91, this resulted in Denver surrendering an NBA record 130.8 points per game, including one game versus the Phoenix Suns where Denver gave up 107 points in one half, which still stands as an NBA record. Westhead was fired from the Nuggets after two seasons after posting a combined W/L record of 44-120.'

Phoenix wins because they have Nash, Amare, Matrix, Diaw, Bell, etc. Swap their starters with last year's Celtics team and you think they would win as many games? 80%?

[/ QUOTE ]

OP is not referring to winning games.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:30 AM

The idea in itself makes sense, but the biggest problem with its implementation is that coaches have very little authority in a team's non-player operations. It would also require a maverick-type coach, who don't come around too often b.c. mavericks rarely survive in enviornments where they have direct superiors in a business structure.

Such enviornments discourage mavericks by defition b.c. the superiors will usually assume credit in good times, and command little blame in bad. Thus, its always more +EV either to do just like your boss instructed, or, if the boss isn't taking part, take a conventional approach.

So in essence the OP would only be possible with an OWNER who is hands on, cares 100% about his team's success, an inherent maverick, and most importantly willing to get railed by the press / commissioner's office on a consitent basis. Very few owners care enough and/or have the balls for this.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Why doesn't anyone in the NFL use the Run N Shoot? I know its been bad mouthed to high hell, but certainly that cant be the only reason?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't why you guys have such a problem with the football example. For one thing, these:

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore you should almost NEVER punt, unless it's basically 4th and 5 or longer or your field position is atrocious.

[/ QUOTE ]

are basically Bill Belichick exaggerated.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they're not Bill Belicheck exaggerrated. What makes you think he views players as interchangeable, or even tries to acquire players that are interchangeable? I think the Pats during his tenure have been amazingly successful at replacing injured players on their line while maintaining a high level of production, but not so much at other positions.

[ QUOTE ]
The teams he suggested emulating were highly successful as well. Aside from the suggestion of running tons of trick plays for [censored] and giggles, what's the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

The teams he suggested emulating, as well as the modern day Patriots had hall of fame quarterbacks to run the offense. If you send Jamarcus Russel or JP Losman out to call the plays at the line you are going to be embarassed.

I don't disagree with OP's position on punting more, but I think it needs to be a little more nuanced.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:54 AM

Actually, it is. NFL coaches come from NFL coordinators or college coaches at prestigious schools. RnS coaches aren't hired at either position with the exception of Kevin Gilbride who doesn't/isn't allowed to run the system anymore. It is seen as beneath them. A thing for amateurs and only for small, overmatched colleges that don't get good recruits. This is all stupid, but whatever.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are basically Bill Belichick exaggerated.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they're not Bill Belicheck exaggerrated. What makes you think he views players as interchangeable, or even tries to acquire players that are interchangeable? I think the Pats during his tenure have been amazingly successful at replacing injured players on their line while maintaining a high level of production, but not so much at other positions.

[ QUOTE ]
The teams he suggested emulating were highly successful as well. Aside from the suggestion of running tons of trick plays for [censored] and giggles, what's the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

The teams he suggested emulating, as well as the modern day Patriots had hall of fame quarterbacks to run the offense. If you send Jamarcus Russel or JP Losman out to call the plays at the line you are going to be embarassed.

I don't disagree with OP's position on punting more, but I think it needs to be a little more nuanced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Belicheck rarely signs big free agents and only slightly more often resigns his own big free agents. He builds through the draft, this is what I meant.

I'm not aware of any offense that wouldn't be embarrassed with Losman or Russel as QB. I don't understand your point.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why doesn't anyone in the NFL use the Run N Shoot? I know its been bad mouthed to high hell, but certainly that cant be the only reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's tough to compose a run and shoot style team. You need to get rid of your tight ends or convert them to fullback/halfback. Then you need to get four wideouts capable of playing the system.

On reading the wiki, it seems QBs take more hits playing run and shoot also.