Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Buying a guitar (electric)

I think the best guitars are made by Ernie Ball/Music Man. The one I have, The Silhouette Special, I think was said by Keith Richards to be the best guitar out there or something to that effect.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:18 AM

im pining for a new guitar now :-\. Gotta decide between a strat or telecaster, maybe a Gibson melody maker...asdf
Old 03-19-2007, 12:27 AM

I would look into the Epiphone Les Paul standard, I have one and its a great all around guitar. I currently have an ibanez classical acoustic/electric, american fender strat, and les paul. Running them through a marshall half stack. You can't go wrong with the marshall sound when it comes to amplifiers
Old 03-19-2007, 01:51 AM

marshalls are nice, but not for me. If anyone can assist here, I am looking for an amp now.

I want something clean, but that has a nice smooth overdrive when cranked. I would prefer reverb. I will most likely be running a delay pedal through it, and a few others.

I guess the biggest sound I am going for is the Edge's clean melodic tone he has in songs such as "where the streets have no name", "city of blinding lights", etc.

I know he plays through a Vox AC30, but thats just too much for me wattage wise. Its going to be 90% a bedroom amp, and I wont be able to crank it too loud.

I was considering a blues junior(in tweed), thoughts?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
marshalls are nice, but not for me. If anyone can assist here, I am looking for an amp now.

I want something clean, but that has a nice smooth overdrive when cranked. I would prefer reverb. I will most likely be running a delay pedal through it, and a few others.

I guess the biggest sound I am going for is the Edge's clean melodic tone he has in songs such as "where the streets have no name", "city of blinding lights", etc.

I know he plays through a Vox AC30, but thats just too much for me wattage wise. Its going to be 90% a bedroom amp, and I wont be able to crank it too loud.

I was considering a blues junior(in tweed), thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe The Edge used Vox amps more than Fender tweeds, but both should do the trick. Personally, I would go with the Vox because they have a little more interesting and unique tone. Just my two cents.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:39 AM

Get a Vox Valvetronix modeling amp, or at least give one a test drive in your local store. I should've mentioned those to the OP as well. They actually model certain amps (like the AC30) better than the Line 6 amps.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 PM

Godin. Trust me.

-BrooklynMark
Old 03-19-2007, 10:25 PM

I've played and collected all types of guitars, and my favorites have always been telecasters, strats and gibson es-335's. There are tons of good amps out there, so just try out ones in your price range and see which ones suit you best. Fender, peavy, vox, marshall all have great affordable amps.

I'm also in the camp of buying a used guitar, since they tend to hold their value if you buy them right. This gives you the opportunity to trade up down the road.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:31 PM

if it's your first guitar, i would suggest spending a little less and picking up an epiphone les paul. they are in the 400-500 range, and are quality guitars. then if you decide you hate playing guitar you will have saved some money.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:11 PM

Location: Im at the Red Lobster and I\'m eatin\' all the shriiimp!

There's some really hideous (looking) guitar recommendations in this thread so be careful. Go to a Guitar Center and try one out.

I like Teles.