Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 01:17 AM

Default I have a serious question

Where is the forum where you can debate contemporary issues? Here is an excerpt from something I wanted to post in other other topics, and I think I offended a gay person who removed it, though I was merely trying to debate a topic. Ozzie guillen shouldn't be suspended for calling a sports writer a bad name used for gay people.
Now I'll be corrected by a guy with an avatar showing big boobs, or a guy who practices in an act that makes him 17 times more likely to molest children. Thats right there are many nice gay people who don't hurt anyone. But America before we get too politically correct lets look at an alarming statistic gay or bi sexual people are 17 times more likely to molest children then straight people. Oh but I guess them being gay is just genetic. Well there's something for debate isn't there? Is this too much of a challenge to our values, am I out of line applying science to a real world argument? Wake up America, you easily influenced sheep. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2006, 01:24 AM

Default Re: I have a serious question

By the way, this should go into the sporting events section I would think.

Anyways:

Ozzie wasn't suspended for using the slur, he was suspended for supposedly ordering the plunking the batter after warnings had been issued by the home plate umpire. The slur had nothing to do with the suspension. The reason that Ozzie got fined for his comment is because baseball thrives on sponsorship money and ticket sales, pissing off either of those two means less revenues.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that the US is becoming too much PC, but think from the perspective of Bud Selig and the other bigwigs in MLB. They just cannot let this slide, there has to be *some* punishment, even if it is just a mere slap on the wrist just to appease a group.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Now I'll be corrected by a guy with an avatar showing big boobs, or a guy who practices in an act that makes him 17 times more likely to molest children. Thats right there are many nice gay people who don't hurt anyone. But America before we get too politically correct lets look at an alarming statistic gay or bi sexual people are 17 times more likely to molest children then straight people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe my avatar depicts a big boob so I'll chime in, and I'm going to chose this portion to target. I have heard the statistic you cite from none but absolutely fraudulent sources. I suggest you either divulge your source for that so we can evaluate it's truth, or retract it entirely. Let the serious debate begin!

As far as finding a forum for such serious issues, I suggest we pull up a poker table shoot down each other's political views and take some poor players' money.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:51 AM

Here's an article on the topic and a simple Google search turns up plenty more. The linked article has links to the "17 times" bunk.

As for Ozzie, I could care less. He's a boob who happens to manage a great baseball team. Children in this town look up to him. I guess it's okay to be an uncivil buffoon these days, and that's just plain sad.

Oh, and Ozzie's suspension had nothing to do with the remark.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:14 AM

I have actually seen the oposite numbers from legit sources...gays are attracted to men - not children.

Ozzie though should not be punished by baseball for saying something that most of us have said when angry...he obviously was not implying that the writer was homosexual
Old 06-23-2006, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ozzie though should not be punished by baseball for saying something that most of us have said when angry...he obviously was not implying that the writer was homosexual

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he was just displaying his disdain for Mariotti. Right before that he called him a "piece of [expletive deleted]" - which did make me smile when the local news reader had to say it.

It's just unfortunate that someone who is himself a minority in this country and has a forum in which to speak chooses to use it that way. For better or worse, he's a role model. Even if he had just stopped at the "piece of" remark, it was still over the line.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where is the forum where you can debate contemporary issues? Here is an excerpt from something I wanted to post in other other topics, and I think I offended a gay person who removed it, though I was merely trying to debate a topic. Ozzie guillen shouldn't be suspended for calling a sports writer a bad name used for gay people.
Now I'll be corrected by a guy with an avatar showing big boobs, or a guy who practices in an act that makes him 17 times more likely to molest children. Thats right there are many nice gay people who don't hurt anyone. But America before we get too politically correct lets look at an alarming statistic gay or bi sexual people are 17 times more likely to molest children then straight people. Oh but I guess them being gay is just genetic. Well there's something for debate isn't there? Is this too much of a challenge to our values, am I out of line applying science to a real world argument? Wake up America, you easily influenced sheep. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound truly enlightened!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:25 AM

This board certainly permits people to express whatever viewpoint they have. If you want to debate the morality of being gay you should post in politics. If you want to debate whether Ozzie should be suspended for his comments you should post in the sports forum. The most likely reason your post was removed from OOT is not because the moderator disagreed with your viewpoint, it's becauase you posted in the wrong forum. OOT is designed for topics that don't belong anywhere else, but there are at least two other fourms here where your post would have been more appropriate.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where is the forum where you can debate contemporary issues?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can assure you it's not B&M Cardrooms. What a strange place to post this drivel.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:46 AM

Default Post deleted by Ryan Beal