Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Why Do People Drive SUV\'s?

I hate when people say that a person driving alone in an SUV has no need for the SUV. Yeah, maybe it's wasteful for that person driving that day.

Some people need the extra room on weekends and vacations. Do you expect them to buy an extra car for everyday use? Or to rent an SUV every weekend?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:19 PM

My requirements for my car,

3 rows of seats-front for me, rear for the little Utahs, and the middle seat for Harry.
The back windows have to go down, this does not happen with a mini van-again, for Harry.
I will live with the crappy gas milage. What is your source regarding accidents?

It would be hard to take the kids and Harry on a motocycle. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2006, 06:20 PM

Hey I don't care me and my gf(now my wife) are alive because of my SUV, that is enough for me.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate when people say that a person driving alone in an SUV has no need for the SUV. Yeah, maybe it's wasteful for that person driving that day.

Some people need the extra room on weekends and vacations. Do you expect them to buy an extra car for everyday use? Or to rent an SUV every weekend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, from personal experience the people driving SUV's that I know, for the most part, take no advantage of them.

My parents have a cabin and often tow a boat and move stuff between the cabin and their home. They drive a minivan and it works great. I think a minivan would work much better for a lot of people driving SUV's. Again, yes,I understand you may need an SUV or a truck so I don't look at every SUV driver and assume they are an ass. As a whole though, I see the market size as a pretty big waste.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are safer, I was in a wreck that some stupid bitch caused and me and my GF would have been dead if we had been in a car(cop says we would have had like a 5% chance of surviving the accident), me and my GF walked away from the scene, I had a bit of a back problem afterwards, and she still has lingering knee problems, at least we aren't dead.
They are roomier for passengers.
They fit more luggage.
They can haul a trailer.
They have more amenities if you want them(DVD players etc.)
They look much better.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, they are much safer.

good anecdotal evidence, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That link leads me to believe that most SUVs are, in fact, safer than they are made out to be. Seems like there might be a little bit of hysteria attached to the anti-SUV movement.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:26 PM

They're safer in a crash for those driving it.. yet I fear for any normal size car on the opposing end.

When I rode my bike in Boston, I always rode VERY carefully near an SUV. They have larger blind spots. And, though this is a symptom of the driver, not the vehicle, a good proportion of SUV drivers switched lanes a bit more carelessly/recklessly, whether it's because they feel safer, or more badass, or they just don't give a [censored].
Old 06-21-2006, 06:27 PM

To block my car's line of sight and bully me around.

ScottieK
Old 06-21-2006, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are safer, I was in a wreck that some stupid bitch caused and me and my GF would have been dead if we had been in a car(cop says we would have had like a 5% chance of surviving the accident), me and my GF walked away from the scene, I had a bit of a back problem afterwards, and she still has lingering knee problems, at least we aren't dead.
They are roomier for passengers.
They fit more luggage.
They can haul a trailer.
They have more amenities if you want them(DVD players etc.)
They look much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

-i'm happy that you got out of your accident safely but have you ever considered what might have happened had the roles been reversed? for instance, i drive a Toyota Echo and i'm constantly concerned that some moron in an SUV with a gigantic blind spot will run right over me and not even notice it happened.

-how many "passengers" do you typically have? because almost every time i see some soccer mom in an SUV she's alone. the average family has 2-3 kids, plenty of room in the average sedan for mom, dad and the kids.

-the luggage point your bring up is probably valid. however, if you're just going to the airport you can call a limo that will fit all the luggage you and your family could possibly need and you'd be riding in style. you'd also save money on ordering a limo vs. paying your ridiculous gas costs to drive your Canyonero.

-a pick up truck hauls a trailer just fine and will cut down your fuel consumption a bit. well over %90 of the time i see SUV's on the road they aren't hauling trailers.

-the DVD thing is just dumb. any vehicle can be decked out with all that crap if you want it.

-they "look better" just simply your opinion. honestly, i think the Lincoln Navigator is one of the ugliest monstrosities i've ever seen on the road.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They look much better.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL
Old 06-21-2006, 06:28 PM

Some people use them for recreation (Off-roading, towing), other just want something better looking then a minivan. If you say a minivan is the smart alternative...then why do people buy sports cars when a regular car will do just fine?