Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Ron Paul and the gold standard, explain his solution please

[ QUOTE ]
He opposes dependency on paper fiat money, but also says that there "were some shortcomings of the previous gold standard because it was a fixed price and caused confusion. He argues that hard money, such as backed by gold or silver, would prevent inflation, but adds, "I wouldn't exactly go back on the gold standard but I would legalize the constitution where gold and silver should and could be legal tender, which would restrain the Federal Government from spending and then turning that over to the Federal Reserve and letting the Federal Reserve print the money." He supports parallel currencies, such as gold-backed notes issued from private markets, competing on a level playing field with the Federal Reserve fiat dollar. He believes this would restrain inflation, limit government spending, and eventually eliminate the ability of the Federal Reserve to "tax" Americans through inflation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand what he's saying here. What exactly is his solution if it isn't going back to the gold standard?