Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 12:08 PM

Default big stack play general strategy question

Hey all...been working on my big stack play and doing well playing aggressive late in the stars 180 $12 turbos...I saw a potential leak and I wanted a little input...

I've started to open more pots with weaker hands KJish, 109suited, even Q 10 off...as expected I get respect due to my stack...

where I hesitate is doing it on back to back hands...I don't like raising two hands in a row with mediocre hands a sometimes I open fold the slightly better hand A 5 ish directly after stealing a pot

The problem is that the blinds are so high and stacks are never that far apart...Don't want to have someone make a stand with a better crap hand and be forced to call for pot odds...

should I keep bulling ahead or mix it up with crap steal hands?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: big stack play general strategy question

Keep pushing on them until you meet resistance. You know when you have to make the pot odds call and when your crushed enough to let it go if they push back.

There seriously are tables that will let you raise 3-4 hands an orbit and continue to never push back until they get two face cards or a pair. I wouldnt choose to not raise A5 from the button just cause I had stolen with complete trash the hand before from cutoff, no way. Now I might muck Q9o from cutoff after having raised the last 2 or 3 in a row, since we get pushed back at lighter in later positions... If we have the table quite crushed chip wise, and they all play a TAG/or tight passive game, we can just raise ATC all day long and generally steal far more than we end up losing due to loose raises and forced calls of the push. Besides, our trash is often only 40/60 or so against their great hand, and with blinds and antes we come out ahead. Then they get to whine at the rail about how they waited all day to get a AQo and we sucked out with our T8. Oh well, sorry sir, but thats big stack poker :> In the late positions, with a huge stack, with smallish stacks in the blinds, I might fold all my dominated hands like Q9o /K8o /JTo stuff like that, but raise up really really egregiously bad trash like 83o since then I am so far out of their hand range when they push and I am forced to call. I just dont want to hand out free double ups, so if the table is playing back at me with hands like A5o or K3s, Then im going to clamp it down a bit, for sure.

4Card
Old 09-17-2007, 01:06 PM

My first large field FT, I ran hot, got a big stack, and coasted with a MONSTER stack to HU due to aggressive big stack play vs passive nit players.

I got someone to jam TPTKFD into my flopped 2nd nut flush for something like a 500BB pot. This was after I already established my stack as a 3x the 2nd place stack. I was unstoppable until the FT where short stacks chipped down my stack making pot odds calls that never won followed up by a 1:1 HU match where I was a)really unexperienced deepstack HU and b) got sucked out on a lot after making good reads and watching 4-outers river.

That said, I raised 4-6 times a rotation. Anything, pretty much, was in my range.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Stop feeling so guilty.

The vast majority of people who sign up for the small stakes Turbos have no idea what Turbo even means so you're entitled to continue to be aggressive.