Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Mile run - how much time can I drop in a month?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Heres an idea: Go [censored] yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wha Wha Wha.

Let me sum up this situation: I'm Clarkmeister... I post in a forum I never come too since I stalk El Diablo. I take shots at a regular for not reading basic articles about a well known protocol when he asks an entirely different poster for research about the topic. I try to present my advice as very erudite and correct when in fact I've only read a couple basic magazine articles and done some cursory googletarding before. When it is presented to me that 1) I was not being addressed 2) I still don't know WTF I'm talking about but merely parroting some crap article about a protocol that everyone knows about I resort to insults instead of relinquishing my faux expert status.

Go ahead. Insult me again. Edit my post. Tell me to check google. Complain to the other mods. Cry more. Go to another forum you've never posted in before, following El Diablo around and try to show you have a [censored] clue what you're talking about. Wipe the sand from your V. Or just stop being a douche?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets be clear: You're the one who started off being a dick. And its not like this is a one time thing for you in this forum. Funny how one of your lame insults is about "Let the men talk" when it is pretty clear to anyone with half a brain who the child is in here. Enjoy having the last word, I wont be responding to you again in this thread.

Apologies to everyone who suffered through our drivel.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. But intervals 3x a week strikes me as pretty intense for a recreational type.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. Plenty of factors come into play that may knock it down to zero times a week. I speak from a background of high school and college training so what I say will fall towards a more intense work load. Recreational types need to adopt to keep from hurting themselves or burning out.

Going back to my suggestion for El D, I think he could sustain that workload for a month doing 2-3 real interval workouts a week given his soccer background.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:47 AM

All,

Looks like there are pretty divided "run more distance for a month" vs "interval train for a month" camps. I'll probably do some combo of both.

In case it matters to anyone's suggestion, I also play tennis for 2-2.5hrs (4 or 5 sets) about twice a week.

I also sometimes run a little faster or a little longer - I can run 5-6 miles pretty easily now, 10 miles would probably be tough.

I haven't played serious soccer in about 5 years, so that's the last time I did any sprint training.

Last time I did a timed mile race was 2003, and I did something like 6:25 then. Sounds like it'll be pretty tough and very unlikely to match that this year.

J: "do i smell a prop bet here?" - Not on this mile, but I might consider "improve mile time in a year" bets.

N: "How hard was the 7:30 run?" - Hard, but not super hard. I ran two 9-minute miles right after. I could definitely have done 7:15, maybe a little faster.

s: "The mind/body wants you to stop" - Definitely, largely because I HATE RUNNING WITH A PASSION.

x: "Are you taking breaks inbetween the miles?" - No.

B: "racing a girl who is, on paper, just a little bit faster" - I used this technique all through college.

Thremp, vulture, shemp, SS, and others: Thanks!
Old 09-04-2007, 04:49 AM

Thremp,

"Let me sum up this situation: I'm Clarkmeister..."

Did I miss something here?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
s: "The mind/body wants you to stop" - Definitely, largely because I HATE RUNNING WITH A PASSION.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you run then?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 AM

Thremp is it your intent to ruin every thread in this forum by all this childish bs.

Please leave the name calling and egotistical posturing out of each and every decent thread.

grow the [censored] up
Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 AM

el d.,

I think opinion is split because the mile (and 800) are such peculiar distances. On the one hand it is endurance on the other hand it is less than 7:00 minutes. And you are relatively comfortable at 9 min/mile-- but you need to sustain a much higher effort.

I agree with Static Shock that the most important thing is that you put your body through (and beyond) the pace you will race at-- and I have no idea how much high intensity work is appropriate for you. Given that you are only going to be doing it for 3 weeks-- I can see him being correct about doing a lot. I think it is a bit risky -- and this is definitely a short term thing-- you can't keep training like that even in the unlikely event you liked the results.

I also like the "lsd" runs more for recovery than building an aerobic base-- I think the race is too close to make much progress on that score.

My approach would be just to give yourself a glimpse of your own potential. You can probably suck it up and run a 1:45 quarter even when you feel fatigued, just as you can do one around 1:30 when you are completely fresh. Now those two in the middle, they are gonna take some guts.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you run then?

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy it once I've gotten through the bombardment of negative imagery that happens early in a run. It took me a long time to get to that point, prior to which I ran for exercise/fitness.

You might hold your breath for as long as you can while swimming underwater-- trying not to listen to your panicky brain. It might still be fun?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:13 PM

I went from 7:14 to 6:41 in 4 weeks last summer, running one mile per week [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If you put in slightly more work than that you should get to at least 6:30.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:29 PM

AZK,

"why do you run then?"

To stay in shape and perform better at sports.