Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Who are you? Personal / Poker background

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus, sounds like you have some serious leaks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya think?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:37 PM

Name: Victor
Add'l personal info: I'm in 4th year at Berkeley physics (research in atomic and molecular physics). Grew up in nyc and went to college in MN. I typically blow all my poker winnings on random vacations which I take at least twice a month.
Poker background: Played live for like 5 years eventually playing 30/60 regularly with a bunch of higher stuff (up to 1/2) on trips to LA, San Jose, and Vegas.

Only played like 200k hands online spread over the last 3 years and while I've run pretty good (maybe over 2bb/100) I pretty much suck and am currently on the worst downswing of my life (almost 500 bb I think). I play 10/20 and 15/30 when I run good and 5/10 (even considering playing lower for morale boost) and tilty HUHU when I run bad.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kinda surprised I am the youngest so far
I thought poker was cool with the kids

[/ QUOTE ]

21 and how many months? I might be younger [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2007, 05:41 PM

I see all these students on here...

I spend a few hours every day thanking my lucky stars that online poker did not exist when I was a student. I studied hard, loved it too, but if there had been poker I am pretty sure I would have turned into a complete degenerate.

Lucky for me I grew up and got myself a job which takes up lots of time first so that I don't have time to make billions of $ playing poker and be much happier.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually these threads make me feel really old but this one hasn't managed that so far. I am the oldest person in the thread so far but not by as much as usual.

[/ QUOTE ]

40, Netherlands.
Have a girlfriend for almost 14 years now. no marriage and/or kids in the near future.

I own a small company, which is just small enough to have tons of spare time.

My online pokering started in 2001 or zo. Deposited $100 and blew it, then deposited $100 more. That was my last deposit ever. I've slowly climbed up in limits, just to face a poker-burnout in 2005. The love for poker was still there, but I couldn't go sit and play for anything over 10 minutes. Now slowly trying to get back in the online pokering. There was still almost $2000 parked in Neteller, so I am going to try and climb up again. Currently dipping my feet in the 2/4 shorthanded games on Stars.

BTW: Hi, 1st post. Long time lurker, but just recently registered.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:57 PM

35 yrs
europe
University degree in computer science
Work 50 hrs a week as an consulting for software and pharmaceutical technology.

Will marry next year, no children yet.

Started playing poker april 2006, fighting up from party 0,05/0,10 to stars/ftp 2/4 with a roll for 3/6.

Hobbies: chess, badminton, poker, marathon
Old 08-23-2007, 07:19 PM

do to popular demand and pms i have received i am in the process of writing the dbeckham/marchinvest2 story. friends. poker. life. its gonna be long and entertaining. i would say it should be done in less than a week. thanks for the curious demand
Old 08-23-2007, 07:38 PM

Name: Michael
27 years old.
Living with my girlfriend, we've been together for 8 years now, no plans of getting married or having children.
I own the appartment we live in and we're currently contemplating buying a house.
Got my masters degree in electronical engineering in 2004, and currently work as a support engineer for a major telecom company. The work is boring as hell, but I have nice colleagues and the pay + the vast amount of freedom in this job makes it hard to motivate myself to write applications.
Spend my freetime playing golf (only game that tilts me more than poker), playing (very little) badminton or hanging out with friends. I enjoy a nice meal, wine and beer a lot more than working out which unfortunately shows. I used to be a decent footballer (real football, not American) but I don't think I'll ever get in shape to play again.

I started playing poker after completing my masters thesis when I was unemployed. I deposited $50 and got a few free books, I started out winning then lost down to the initial $50 and withdrew that since I hate losing (yeah, I'm probably the most unballa person in the world). I studied the books I got, started reading 2p2, deposited again and started winning slowly but steadily. Somewhere along the line I decided to switch to 6-max and start losing money. After a while I got sick of this and decided to get some coaching and it really helped. However I have always had a very easy time understanding written concepts but also sucked at applying them in practice so my "major poker breakthrough" was when I signed up at stoxpoker and watched the videos there. At this time I started winning at 6-max, but still enjoyed a nice 500+ BB downswing this spring. I'm up to playing 5/10-10/20 now and hope that I can stay there for a while. I probably play less poker than most of you with only about 5000 hands of LHE per month. I'm trying to learn NL and it's much easier to get some hands in there. Finally I think that 95% of my posts here suck and that my only real contribution to this forum is the hand swaps which I hope people find useful.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:43 PM

I´m 39 years old and from Sweden.
Have 4 kids with two different females and lives in a house.
3 1/2 years at the university studying economics.
Work as a consultant in the retail industry.

Poker: Started playing poker August 2005 with the explicit goal of making 150 000 dollars (which is equivalent with 1 million swedish crowns) within 5 years.I´m right on track since I´ve made 60000 dollars so far.I mainly play 3/6 and 5/10 at Ongame,Prima and Pacific. I´m very risk averse since a major downswing at higher stakes would make my goal harder to achieve.
Have started to play NL and are realizing that my goals are much easier to achieve playing NL than at staying limit.
Variance is a bitch at limit but during 14 days of NL I haven´t had 1 losing day so far.
Otherwise I´m a mediocre limit player but a great table/site selector and I play 3-4 tables.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 PM

I forgot a funny story about how I got into poker. I was playing backgammon on this website Truemoneygames. Then they started offering poker. I started playing the fake money games. I played for about 10 minutes and was like what the f*ck is this. If I play anything, whether it's golf backgammon pool golden tee it's for money. There's not much point otherwise. Got to test your heart. But poker is literally about money.

So I quit the fake money and then played .5/$1, which was the lowest stakes. I lost $1000 very quickly, in like 3 weeks or so. Kept having to deposit money. I didn't understand what the heck was going on. The graphics were not very instructive, so I was like "check?" what does that mean? They just showed it in the chat box. I had no idea what was going on. I didn't even know a flush beat a straight! I'd see a paired board and not know I could lose to a full house.

This was because I had not read the rules yet. So I blew $1000 at .5/1. No kidding. Can't believe it was me. Then I bought a slim yellow book by some big foreheaded dude Sklansky and the rest is history.