Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Stiffing

Strippers don't get paid much either, wtf?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:00 AM

The ones here most of the time have to pay to be in the club or just work for free, but they pull in so much more money than a waiter, it's not even comparable.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:05 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Cabbies in vegas are by far the biggest jerks in the world when it comes to hustling tips.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cabbies in vegas are by far the biggest jerks in the world when it comes to hustling tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, they are jerks. if your fare is $7.60 and you make it an even $10 you usually don't even get a thank you. if it's something like $6 and you ask for change for your ten you usually get a look of disappointment and a shake of hte head.

i once had a cabbie who pretended not to know what the "north entrance" of bellagio was. i was heading there from the rio and he insisted that he thought the main entrance was the north entrance after driving by. i told him that it's fine, i only have $8, and its all he's getting (which was true, but i may have said the same thing if it wasn't). he then asked me if i wanted to get out on the strip by the fountains. the meter was at about $7 at this point, so i obviously understood why he wanted to let me out. i told him i wanted to go to the bellagio. he asked me again if i wanted to get out. i said fine, and handed him an even $7. he bitched and moaned because i had told him i would give him $8. i told him that was before he tried to scam me, and then he told me to [censored] off. if i had been smart i would have ripped up the dollar bill while he watched.

las vegas cabbies are scumbags.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course, but 2.15 an hour is a bit ridiculous. There should be a law preventing such abuse. At least pay the freaking waiter 5$ an hour, which is like 3$ less than minimum wage?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) With the 2.15 base pay a server at a busy chain restaurant in the US makes about $20/hr

2) Minimum wage in the US is $5.85

I like how I handle tipping in restaurants. I give 18-20% for average service, about 10% for poor service, nothing for horrible service, 25% for very good service, and have gone as high as 40% for stellar service.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 AM

wrt handing the 20 for $18 and 3 drinks, I think that's completely fine to do. If it was $16 or 17 I'd likely be handing the 20 and just walking away too. I think you went wrong by telling her to keep the change. I always feel really tacky saying that and avoid it like the plague.

edit: I looked back and it says drinks, not beers. I might feel a little different depending on what kind of drinks we're talking about.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whatever the accepted amount to tip per drink is in currency (and it is damn sure not <$1/drink unless you're a horrific cheapskate) then you tip that much per drink. so for 3 drinks that come to $18 you give her $21 (or $25 and get change), although imo getting 3+ drinks at once is an extra buck usually so i'd have given her $22

[/ QUOTE ]

not that's it's totally necessary to pile on to mbillie at this point since everyone seems to be ignoring his idiotic posts, but no one has commented yet on probably the dumbest of his points, quoted above. is there a single other person in this thread who tips more per drink as the number of drinks goes up? i would imagine there's a pretty even split between those who give $1/drink no matter what and those that give slightly less rounding down ($3 for 4 drinks or a pitcher)
Old 11-07-2007, 11:46 AM

ceczar,

this pole is dumb. i generally tip a little less/more just to round things out. If I get four drinks and its $22, I'll prob leave $25, but I'd do the same if it came to $21.

also, "drinks" is a useless term for me.

if im buying a round of five bottles of beer and she just reaches down, pops off the tops and places them on the counter, then she's probably gonna get $2-3. If I buy a round that consists of one long island iced tea, two draft beers, a cranberry and vodka, and a gin and tonic, then I'm definitely leaving at least $6-7. has nothing to do with the cost of the drinks, just the complexity of the order and the individual drinks.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:01 PM

Stiffing:

The last time I did it we were at a (now closed after like 3 months LOL) Mexican place for a work b-day outing. Everyting about the service was horrible, and specifically it took them forever to bring the check (something that really bugs me, because given that 90% of the working world has a 1 hour or less lunch window, you shouldn't fart around) despite being totally non busy. I can be very forgiving, but when I feel like I'm getting bad service because people are being lazy/dumb (instead of say busy or just new/bad at their job), I'm not feeling much obligation to tip.

Drinks:

If I'm paying cash, I'll probably leave a decent tip on the first drink, and then another one on the last. Never had any problems.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stiffing:

The last time I did it we were at a (now closed after like 3 months LOL) Mexican place for a work b-day outing. Everyting about the service was horrible, and specifically it took them forever to bring the check (something that really bugs me, because given that 90% of the working world has a 1 hour or less lunch window, further shortened by my bathroom break as we head out the door, you shouldn't fart around) despite being totally non busy.

[/ QUOTE ]