Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 02:16 PM

Default PSTourney turbo help/strategy.

lately ive been trying somethign new at PS and that is TURBO's.

I usually DONT play turbo tourneys but I was messing around trying to play at the .10 cent ones to see how it was like and man do I struggle. I usually bust out in the 700-950 people area. and I know its faster then others and the blinds increase oh so very fast IMO.

i was wondering how should I play these things?? I tried playing tight then I tried playing loose calling alot trying to hit flops..but im on the fence about how I should go about playing in these things.
Can anyone help me out with how I should go about playing??
Old 06-21-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: PSTourney turbo help/strategy.

After the fist 10-15 minutes your main equity in the turbos comes from the fact that people fold more than they should. Turbos are very profitable, because they take 1/3 the time of a regular tourney. However, remember, your ROI also takes a similar hit because they are a crapshoot to a certain extent. Your $/hour playing turbos properly is going to be as good as regular tourneys, but your ROI is not, so be prepared to lose most of the time.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:36 PM

yea man thx.

I just wanna get somewhat decent at them..I prolly will never play them for profit lol.

But yes I noticed that peopel tend to FOLD ALOT in the middle of the pack ..I guess Ill play more agressive during that times
Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea man thx.

I just wanna get somewhat decent at them..I prolly will never play them for profit lol.

But yes I noticed that peopel tend to FOLD ALOT in the middle of the pack ..I guess Ill play more agressive during that times

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I've tried them here or there and although I'm sure I'm probably +EV in them I don't really play because 1) I don't find them particularly fun even when they go well and 2) they piss me off regularly.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 PM

The trick to playing these 10c turbos is:

1. Early in the tournament, I wouldn't play much differently from a regular micro limit mtt, other than raise more than normal with JJ+ because people will call anyway since it's only 10 cents. Try to see cheap flops with low PPs, SCs, etc. Don't donk off your chips with hands like KTo. Contrary to popular belief, you shouldn't be playing trash during the 10/20 blind level just because it's a turbo.

2. When the blinds get big, steal aggressively especially from LP. People fold way too much, especially after the antes start. I've seen many horrible folds late in these things.

The $5.50 turbos are obviously harder, mainly because more people understand short stack play. You can't steal the blinds if someone ahead of you has already gone all in.