Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: WSOP 5K HORSE - Stud/8 Hand

Maybe I play scared but there is no way I 3 bet 5th. Either I am dead or playing for half the pot.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:10 PM

If you check-raise Fourth or Fifth, two good things happen: you lose Ali's bare low draw and you get a read on Stubborn's hand. As played, Stubborn still had an opportunity to cap on Five, and since he didn't, you can only give him a draw and a pair. Maybe two little pair. Since he stopped at three bets, I think we can rule out both a made low and holecards like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] X[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], but the other AA, 67 or A4 seem likely candidates.

You're stuck in check-call-down once he catches good on Six, but it probably isn't as bad as it looks.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks guys. In talking to others after the hand, it seems that 3-betting fifth is the most questionable play. I didn't really like it either, but I thought I had to get rid of the third player, even if I opened myself up to a 4-bet from a player who's freerolling on me. Having the two 5's as blockers gave me some confidence that I could escape for high if I could get heads up. Once Ali does fold, I'm not considering anything besides check-call.

I guess the question is what Ali could have had that was worth going to such lengths to knock out. If he's on the flush draw or the other two aces and folds either, I think all the bets are worth it. I'm not sure though whether there's enough chance of the parlay that he has one of those AND he'll give it up.

I called on the end, and he showed 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - rolled up sevens that filled on the end (I highly doubt he started with 767). I lost another big pot a few minutes later with kings up, heads up against the bring-in showing 7472 on board, when he turned over the remaining three aces on the end. Crippled, I busted a few hands later in the hold'em round, still more than a table away from the money.

Ali kept shaking his head and berating me after the big hand, telling me how "obvious" it was Stubborn was rolled up and how I was in third place the whole way. He's just upset about getting squeezed out there, but the only conclusion I can draw from the "third place" comment is that he either folded the other two aces and assumed I must have had less than that since I couldn't beat sevens full, or he's full of it. I think the latter is more likely.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:18 PM

On the bright side, today is the Razz event! Hopefully I'll have a few interesting hands or stories - maybe even one or two with results that aren't awful.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:04 PM

c/r 4th. If Ali stays in then I would c/r 5th again as the cards fell and jam if given the opportunity. I don't think the way you played it was bad but I think c/r 4th or 5th is a better way to try and get the pot HU. Ali obviously picked up a 3 flush on 4th and may have gotten jammed in correctly, or at least what I think is correct in a cash game. Stubborn obviously paired, probably the 4. The fact he probably paired the 4 which is also a spade bodes poorly for us on 6th street but even entertaining the possibility of folding at that point is absurd.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:56 PM

Hmm... I'm not sure why everyone is so partial to c/r in spots where you can bet-rr.

It seems to me that your chances of eliminating the opponent are about the same and of course you get an extra bet in.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:31 AM

Getting Ali out is much more important than getting an extra bet out of him. The bet/three-bet line might just tie him on, which is exactly what you don't want.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting Ali out is much more important than getting an extra bet out of him. The bet/three-bet line might just tie him on, which is exactly what you don't want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the first part but, from experience, I'm not sure I agree with the second.

Do people fold for 2-cold outright but not for 2 cold after putting a bet in?

In theory they probably should with their most marginal hands, but it's not something I've noticed.

Also our original read on 4th street should be that Ali probably just has a bricked low with an A, so driving him out is not actually that imperative.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:11 AM

I woke up this morning and got a little sick to my stomach when I checked the tournament results. The front page of pokernews.com now features the smiling mug of "Stubborn" with his new 5K HORSE gold bracelet.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:21 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
How did it go in the razz event?