Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Credit Card Late Fee

I was just charged a $39.00 late fee plus finance charges of $6.00 for posting my payment one day late (ended up being 4 days late because I posted on a Saturday). I think this is outrageous and was wondering if anyone has experience with late fees on credit cards and if you can call and complain and have it removed? And when I call, was wondering what I should say?

I have had the card for 8 months now and haven't missed a payment except one other time only because it was their fault and they didn't send me a bill; I was charged for that but called and they refunded the fee which again was their fault and they told me to call on the statement that they finally sent me.

I have 4 credit cards and this one has an earlier pay period than the other ones; I pay this one anywhere between the 10th and 15th of the month and my other cards are generally always near the 26th of the month. That's about the only reason why I paid this one late other than I just plain forgot
Old 04-27-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Credit Card Late Fee

If you call and complain, you'll likely get the fees removed. Also check your APR - late payments can trigger an obscene increase.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you call and complain calmly and politely, citing your history with the company, you'll likely get the fees removed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-27-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
except one other time only because it was their fault and they didn't send me a bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I had that happen 5-6 years ago and they said the payment is due whether I received a bill or not. I guess they expected me to have their billing address framed in a golden plaque hanging in my living room...I can imagine though everyone and their brother tries to use that excuse. They removed the fee with NP since it was my only late payment ever with them.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:22 PM

You can call and see if they will cut you a break, but you also want to see if the APR has jumped now that you missed 2 payments in less than 1 year. Most of the time the APR will jump to like 25+ with 2 late payments. Tell them you will transfer the balance and close the account ASAP if that has happened and they won't reverse it.

And on the time of the month thing...you can have the billing date change to around the time of your other cards if that is your main problem.