Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: almost never \" Limp in\" is what I hear many Pros and books say

After reading the post above, here is a scenario where open-limping may be ok:
The blinds defend every raise, and call down with any piece. They are terrible postflop players. In this instance, I could see mixing in limping in LP with hands like 78. You want to get in hands with them and hit a gin flop before they lose their money to other players.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Re: almost never \" Limp in\" is what I hear many Pros and books say

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You generally want to at least put pressure on the blinds to fold. If you can't do this, fold.

The SB/BB can play just about any two cards and could hit 2 pair + and it's tough to read.

You have AJo and limp from LP, blinds call. If flop comes J73 rainbow you have tptk and think your good. The BB could have J7...

[/ QUOTE ]

What!? Am I the only one that thinks this is insane? If the blinds are $1-$2, and both have $1,000 stacks, and you get stacked w/ that hand, you shouldn't be playing poker. Let's say I limp for $2 and SB calls. There's $6 in the pot. So let's say the BB bets $10 and you raise to $50. If he re-raises or calls, you HAVE to know you are behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does he say anything about getting stacked?

His point was that by raising he is protecting his relatively good hand against crap that the blind could call with if he limps.

Of course in the example given if the villain starts reraising your bets you have to assume you are behind but you will lose money before you realise this. By raising you either force them to fold or gain information from them calling/reraising that will help you on further streets.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think your comments are more relevent in tournament poker. In a cash game, you want to mix it up.

With the example of AJo, I would probably raise 70% and call 30%. The flop example given is one of many scenarios. If you limp, and an A comes on the flop, your hand may be disguised and you can possibly extract some cash from second pair or especially Ace rag.

The key point here is that in an unraised pot, you don't have good info on villain so you have to have good poker instinct. In other words, limping here with AJo may be +EV for a good post flop player and -EV for a poor player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that you need to mix it up to make it difficult for your opponent to get a good read on you.

However, the only time I can ever think it is right to limp with AJo on the button when folded to is if the blinds are terrible players and even then it is doubtful.

No matter how good your post flop is AJo is an often dominated hand that will lose you money if you dont play it correctly. The only difference is a better post flop player will probably lose less by laying the hand down sooner when it is obvious they are beat.

If you limp with this hand and an Ace hits the flop you dont know where you stand. If you cbet and its called what do you do next? You cant bet too much as you risk being dominated so even if you end up winning the pot you will not win much.