Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Strange NL betting rule

You quick replied to someone else, not me, for that prior response, didn't you?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You only read the first sentence before you reply? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"You don't even have enough for a legal raise"

It's not a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I thought I quoted the rules above in this thread, although perhaps I imagined it. to reiterate: the 1/2 bet rule is a limit concept. As Pfapfap says, only a full raise is a raise in NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that some NL games run with a half-raise rule....?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You only read the first sentence before you reply? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"You don't even have enough for a legal raise"

It's not a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I thought I quoted the rules above in this thread, although perhaps I imagined it. to reiterate: the 1/2 bet rule is a limit concept. As Pfapfap says, only a full raise is a raise in NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that some NL games run with a half-raise rule....?

[/ QUOTE ]

True, I was pointing out the standard rule. Home games are welcome to any rule variants they want. I suppose I keep pointing it out, because I believe that a lot of home game players using the 1/2 raise rule for no limit believe it is the standard rule, not a variant.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Honestly, it sounds like the dealer didn't want to have to take 21 dollars out of your and everyone elses stack of 100 to make a side pot, he wanted to do it the easy way, on the next street.

The dealer is wrong, and lazy imo.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me see if I understand your "rules." Before any action post flop player A bets $30. Player B only has $14.99 so he calls. Are you saying that players C, D, E, can only call player A's $30? Cuz if you are you have some retarded rules. If you aren't then please clarify?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO! (Clearly I didn't explain this well if this is what derived, I'll try to elaborate better) I am saying, before any action post flop player A bets $30. Player B has $44.99 (or less), if player B raises all in, if other players call the now $44.99 total when it get backs to player A he cannot reraise the raise when the action gets back to him.

IF, here is where it is different, before any action post flop player A bets $30. Player B only has $45 (or more, but less than $60), if player B raises all in, if other players call the now $45 total when it get backs to player A he CAN now reraise the raise when the action gets back to him.

In either case ANY player acting after player B's reraise (no matter how much player B had) and before it gets back to player A can reraise any amount, at which point it DOES reopen the raising ability to player A.

Whether you like what the rule can, in EXTREMELY RARE cases, allow in terms of pot and player manipulation, if the rule is in place and you have the opportunity to take advantage of it and do not, that is your perrogative. I am not an angle shooter, nor do I recommend that others angle shoot (i.e. deliberately acting out of turn, saying one thing and doing another, hiding cards behind chips etc.)

If you have ever **"had"** to play in a game stacked up with calling stations that end up giving EVERYONE the right odds to chase EVERYTHING possible, if you get the opportunity to pull this move off it is (in my best Cartman) . . . . SUPER SWEET! (so long as the draws don't get there)

And by **"had"** . . . 1) I live in an area that does not have card rooms readily available, 2) I do not enjoy, and will not, play cash games with my friends as some cannot afford to lose even at the lowest stakes that would keep the game legit and from a financial standpoint worthwhile, 3) I am unable to travel to areas that have great card rooms, so I "have" to play in the festival, church basement fund raising, and general charity fundraiser arenas. WHICH ARE LOADED with chasers, calling stations, people along for the ride, and players notorious for giving everyone else at the table horrible odds in relation to ANY made hand. (Don't argue this if you haven't played in this environment, because who wants to go all in for $200 on the flop when the pot has $60 in it, because 4 or more players will call a $75 - $100 bet?)
Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 AM

Look at it from this example, (and this is PREDOMINANTLY the examples that I have used this to my advantage)

Where: Summer festival in their gambling tent, spreading everything from instants, the money wheel, Blackjack where the dealer takes ties, to poker.

What: $1/$2 no-limit. Buy in rules vary anywhere from min $60 - max $100 upto min $100 - max $300 depending on the festival. With a ridiculous rake that is ALWAYS 10% and can go as high as $50 per hand, again depending on which venue.

Who: 9 players and you, where skill levels of the other 9 really question whether the words "skill" and "level" should be in the same sentence. 7 of the 9 will call almost anything to the turn to see if they can hit either their 4 or 7 for third pair, lookout if they have a gutshot, and four to a 9 high flush OR open ended at the bottom end are (notice sarcasm) VIRTUAL LOCKS!

When: After you have played for quite a while, you notice that the game has digressed to a glorified crap shoot.

You are playing $700+ and are in early position. You are dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and raise to $20 preflop (because $15 - $25 preflop was getting action, but $30 or more was not) and get called by 5 players, making the preflop pot atleast $125. One of the callers is the player immediately to your left and he, of all the players in this pot, is the shortstack and he has $60 left after calling the $25 preflop.

The flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I will often bet $40, praying that the shortstack has an Ace or a hand that he will push either out of desperation, pride or the money in the pot begging him/her. His/her raise of $20 allows me to repop if and when 1, 2, 3, or all 4 of the remaining players just call the shorstack's reraise all in to $20 more on top of the $40 I originally bet. I then raise a large amount (depending on what I think the is needed) hoping that the callers of $60 bail when faced with a reraise that would cost them anything upto $615 more.

Nothing shady has occured here. Poor play, in this case, tight/passive and loose/passive play has been exploited. No rule has been broken. No immoral angle has been shot. If the rule is in place and you don't like the above situation, you probably don't like to check raise and would like to illiminate players ability to check raise you in a tight aggressive game as well! Believe it or not there are players (stereotypically, they are mostly older) that do not like check-raises and actually ban them in their house rules.

If my original post was unclear, I apologize. I was implying what "Zetack" read into my posts, and hope that this and my last post cleared up any ambiguity. For those that do not like the 1.5 raise rule in NL cash play, I would implore you to think about it with an open mind. It presents you with opportunities that less skilled players do not think of, and therefore initially are unable to implement on you (until they learn it from experience). If you know someone is capable of making this move/play you are that much ahead of the competition, or atleast you are able to see into their mind as to "why" they are betting that amount.

Hope I atleast clarified what others misread due to my poor word choices earlier. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hope I atleast clarified what others misread due to my poor word choices earlier. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "clarified" you mean attempted to make a confusing post even more so then yes, you've "clarified" it. But no matter, you play in your tents with your wacked out rules and let the big boys play real poker.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you often find that others are misreading your writing? Whatever could be wrong with all those silly people?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

and let the big boys play real poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this because the average tonage per player in your game pushes 3 bills, or because you play for "big" stakes? If the latter, why don't you continue to add to your image/dillusions of grandeur and impress us all with how "big" you play. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2007, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

and let the big boys play real poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this because the average tonage per player in your game pushes 3 bills, or because you play for "big" stakes? If the latter, why don't you continue to add to your image/dillusions of grandeur and impress us all with how "big" you play. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because we play poker with rules that actually make sense and not some made up kiddie rules. Go back to your tent.