Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Don\'t tap the Tank -- How do you handle this.

[ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, I no longer discrace the sacred links with my drunken presence. Although, I was a BIG donator on the course.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like an excellent golfer. I'd love to get in a round with you!

(See, Firestorm, it's not hard.)
Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 PM

berate him 10x worse
Old 09-08-2007, 10:54 PM

Talk him up - tell him he is playing just fine and tell the other guy to quit being jealous of obvious superior talent. I would have told that guy to STFU personally - as I would to anyone who is gonna cost me money...
Old 09-08-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6-12 Canterbury

I'm in seat 5. Seat 7 isn't playing ATC, but he's pretty darn close. Truly playing 85% of his cards. Since he's on a rush and seems to be sucking out every time, the table sees most of the cards he's playing.

Pretty soon, seat four starts ripping into him -- "How can you call with that crap .... Don't you know anything about poker, etc." I try to quietly tell him, let it go, but he is having none of it.

45 minutes (and three racks of chips) later Seat 7 gets up and leaves. At which point three other players rip into seat 4, explaining that when someone is betting like that, the last thing you want to do is mock him. That if Seat 7 is going to play those hands, we want to keep him here as long as possible, and that his actions probably drove the guy from the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are lots of ignorant (ego tripping) poker players, chasing people from games, with insulting remarks. It's funny, because that particular trait, reveals the jerk, to be the least able player at the table--his inability to control his ego, is proof, he's no where near a complete player.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There are lots of ignorant (ego tripping) poker players, chasing people from games, with insulting remarks. It's funny, because that particular trait, reveals the jerk, to be the least able player at the table--his inability to control his ego, is proof, he's no where near a complete player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incomplete doesn't do them justice. I find that the regular berators often play like crap;. Usually their only skill is choosing decent starting cards, which they then misplay and get 'bad beat'
Old 09-09-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Firestorm, which is more important to you when you're at a poker table: to have others acknowledge your superior poker analysis skills or to maximize your winrate?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I believe this has been covered again. However, for you anti-free speech nits, I'll say it again. Table talk isn't an amazingly important facet of the game, it may be good, neutral or at times detrimental. Usually it makes very little difference, and you can use it to your advantage if you wish. It's not about people knowing that you have superior analytic skills. It may be because you're blowing off steam, it may be because you're not a patient enough person to sit there all day like a rock, it may be because you're like me, a verbally aggressive person by nature. Point is, it's your business.

[/ QUOTE ]

There may have been an answer to my question in there, but I couldn't find it. I thought that a simple A or B question would be easy to understand and reply to.

I'm not an "anti-free speech nit". I suspect that most of the commenters in this thread aren't, but I can only speak for myself with certainty.

As has been pointed out by a number of commenters, people play poker for a variety of reasons. Some to have fun, some for the thrill, some to win money, some for the social interaction, most for some combination.

I am not assuming that either of the two choices is your primary reason to play. I'm simply asking, which is more important to you at the table?

[ QUOTE ]
Firestorm, which is more important to you when you're at a poker table: to have others acknowledge your superior poker analysis skills or to maximize your winrate?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-09-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You sound like an excellent golfer. I'd love to get in a round with you!

(See, Firestorm, it's not hard.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I get to get drunk and drive the cart????
Old 09-09-2007, 07:55 AM

Angel Largay has a interesting chapter how to deal with those situations in his book
worth reading just for that chapter alone
Old 09-09-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I get to get drunk and drive the cart????

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course!