Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Lasik Eye Surgery - 4 Month Update

At an attempt to cure my boredom for awhile, and having been wanting to post an update for some time now, I am taking the time to do it now.

For anyone who wants to catch up first, I originally posted this:

Eye Surgery - Need Some Advice

and then followed up with this:

Lasik Eye Surgery - Update (Long)

It has now been 4 months since I had Lasik Eye Surgery and so here is my 4 month update on how it has worked out.

After the surgery my eyes were always dry. I had to put drops in my eyes every hour just to keep my eyes wet. Over a span of about 5-6 weeks, I needed to use the drops less and less. I also had to use other drops that were prescribed for me for one week. My eyesight wasn't perfect after I had it done and I was kind of worried that it wasn't completely fixed through the surgery. I was worried that I would have to live with it being slightly off. My right eye was 20/15 and my left eye was 20/30, so still not perfect in the left eye.

After the week went by, I got off of the drops and I could actually feel my eyes getting better. I think the drops made my eyes a little swollen, which would throw my eyesight off a little.

A few more weeks went by and I went and got another check-up. This time, both of my eyes were 20/15. I can now see better than perfect and I'm so relieved. At this point my eyes were still getting slightly dry, but I think it was because my eyes were so used to getting the drops when my eyes got dry. I realized at this point that I need to just suffer through some mornings with my eyes being dry and then my eyes would compensate and start doing their own thing.

I have had other checkups and all that they were, were just to see that everything was good. Each successive checkup is spaced further apart. I think my next checkup is either this month, November, or in December.

People have said they have trouble seeing at night, but I don't have trouble at all. I do get a glare sometimes, but it's nothing that I can't handle. The problem is that later at night when I get tired, my eyes dry out quicker. And that is the only problem. Even during the day if I don't blink enough, my eyes will get dry and I get a glare. I really don't have any problems though and I can see just fine. Sometimes I am amazed by how much I can see from a distance, reading something so small that most people can't read it with glasses or contacts. Something far away isn't always clear, but if I think about it long enough and keep trying to focus, I usually can make out what it says.

I think I have covered everything. This is just an update and probably the last one I will make because I don't see anything else changing from here on out.

If anyone has any questions that haven't been answered yet, feel free to ask. I'm always on 2+2 unless I'm busy, obviously!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Lasik Eye Surgery - 4 Month Update

Almost one year and counting here. No problems so far.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:45 PM

3 years great
Old 11-02-2006, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the update.

Is the dryness something you can manage yourself or do you carry around visine or similar? Does extended computer use cause excessive dryness?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the update.

Is the dryness something you can manage yourself or do you carry around visine or similar? Does extended computer use cause excessive dryness?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was using eyedrops like visine, but they were non-preservative. They come in their own little vials that have about 5 drops in them. You can buy them at any drug store. I only carried them around when I knew that I would need them. For the first month you are supposed to use them often, but it turns out to be less and less as time goes on. Now, I don't even bother carrying them with me and most often I forget that I ever had the surgery at all.

Extended computer use doesn't bother me at all. I'm on my computer the majority of my day and I don't have any problems.

It feels like what it would feel like if you fell asleep with your contacts in - something to that effect.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 AM

i got PRK and as i mentioned in the other thread, my only complication (about 7 months later) is that at night when im sleeping (in a hot and dry room), my eyes can get really dry (so dry that it hurts), have to slip in some eye drops and its fine again.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:44 AM

maybe this question is stupid, but once you get the surgery, do your eyes continue to get worse ever?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe this question is stupid, but once you get the surgery, do your eyes continue to get worse ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a permanent procedure, but they do say that as you get older - 40s/50s - you may need reading glasses. That is true of all people though as they get older so it comes as no surprise.

Usually a requirement is that they want your prescription to be stable for at least 2 years. (I think it is 2 years) It is for the very reason that your eyes could still be changing, if that makes sense.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:55 AM

If they could do this without burning my eyeballs i would do it.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they could do this without burning my eyeballs i would do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't even feel it, or see it.