Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Gaelic Football Post Season Training - Need alot of help please. $$$

Our season just ended this past weekend, and I am now thinking ahead to next season. This season gave me an idea of what I need to work on for next season. I take this sport very seriously and would really appreciate any help. Here are my goals...

-Lose weight
I am 5"10, about 190 lbs, and roughly 20% body fat. I want to be lean. I want to be cut, beach body if you will.

-Get Faster/Endurance
Right now I dont have much endurance, and I am not all that quick. This needs to change. Gaelic football is a very fast paced sport like soccer.

-Get stronger
There are some guys on the team that are just strong as hell. They are able to plow through guys like its nothing. Most of the guys like this arent even that big. I want to be like that.

-Be able to jump higher/Be more agile
Jumping high is a big part of the game. Winning balls is a game breaker alot of the time. I want to increase my vertical, and also have better hands. I want to work on agility. I want to be able to mark anyone, and be extremely difficult to be marked.

These are my main goals. Now I am hoping you guys can give me an outline of what kind of:
-lifting
-running
-drills
-supplements
-diet
etc I should doing/on.

Because gaelic is alot like soccer, some soccer drills/workouts may apply.

I am in college now, so I can pretty much eat what is available on campus here. There are a few healthy places to eat fortunately. If you can give me an idea of what kind of foods I should be eating, and when, that would be awesome.

Also, I tend to get shin splints... Will these go away once I really get my leg muscles into shape? What can I do to avoid them?

If I forgot anything, just let me know. I am heading to the gym right now.

Also, for those of you who actually read all of this, I really appreciate it. The 3 people that contribute the most to my workout schedule/diet plan, etc, will receive $50 on stars, party, or ftp.

Once I get everything outlined, I will start a log on here with pictures of my progress and such.

For those of you who want an idea of what Gaelic Football is like, just search it in Youtube. Watch a few videos, itll give you an idea of the sport.

Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Gaelic Football Post Season Training - Need alot of help please. $$$

isn't this like your third time trying to do this?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Gaelic Football Post Season Training - Need alot of help please.

Lifting should be the standard compound lifts 3x a week. Check Bill Starr's 5x5 routine in the FAQ.

You should probably do HIIT for your cardio since you want to work on your speed. Also in the FAQ.

No idea about drills or other cardio that might be able to help you and I wouldn't recommend any supplements until you've stuck with the diet and exercise for a bit as the typical thermogenic (ECA stack) can make you lightheaded if you jump right into it.

Diet should consist of mostly protein, then carbs, then fat. You want to eat small meals throughout the day every 2-3 hours or so. Protein + Carb meals pre-workout, PWO shake right after lifting, then protein+fat meals for the remainder of the day/evening. Start counting calories and all that stuff. You'll want to figure out your protein/carbs/fat percentages of your total daily calories.

As far as what types of food. Try load up on lean meats, vegetables, oatmeal (not the instant kind), skim milk, eggs/egg whites, flax/fish oil capsules for good fat. Tuna is cheap and has 32.5g protein per can.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
isn't this like your third time trying to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]
yeh, wasnt in the best environment to have a steady routine. Now that I am at school its much much easier.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 PM

Do yourself a HUGE favor and find a training partner or two on the team. It's a hell of a lot easier to train like an animal if you are doing it with people.

From the goals you described you would be well served by finding a member of your school's football team and finding out what kind of lifting/drills/conditioning work they do in the off season. At the college level it's pretty damn intense.

Off the top of my head in addition to the usual stuff mentioned on this board I would say:

-Spend lots of time pulling a weighted sled up and down a field.
-Farmers walks
-Lot's of explosive stuff in the weight room like Oly lifts and some associated complexes, plenty of box jumps too.

You have the right idea about doing this stuff in the offseason. Once the season starts it's too late.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do yourself a HUGE favor and find a training partner or two on the team. It's a hell of a lot easier to train like an animal if you are doing it with people.

From the goals you described you would be well served by finding a member of your school's football team and finding out what kind of lifting/drills/conditioning work they do in the off season. At the college level it's pretty damn intense.

Off the top of my head in addition to the usual stuff mentioned on this board I would say:

-Spend lots of time pulling a weighted sled up and down a field.
-Farmers walks
-Lot's of explosive stuff in the weight room like Oly lifts and some associated complexes, plenty of box jumps too.

You have the right idea about doing this stuff in the offseason. Once the season starts it's too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

what would the american football drills help with for gaelic? speed and strength while running, right? I would find someone on the gaelic team but theyre gonna be back home in Ireland, or at other schools, or they have jobs. No one on the team is anywhere near me unfortunately.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:29 PM

The goals you described in your post fall in line with those of football players. Size, speed, strength, and the ability to plow through people.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 PM

Stop drinking, eat more, stop doing too much volume, choo choo.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The goals you described in your post fall in line with those of football players. Size, speed, strength, and the ability to plow through people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not sure about plowing through people, but everything else yes. I just need to be quick on my feet. I dont need much size, I am pretty big as it is. I really want to keep the muscle structure I have now and cut as much fat as possible.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not sure about plowing through people, but everything else yes. I just need to be quick on my feet. I dont need much size, I am pretty big as it is. I really want to keep the muscle structure I have now and cut as much fat as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pulling a sled up and down a field, agility drills, Oly lift complexes, and HIIT will do this.

There really isn't a magic formula. What you get out of a program is based on the effort that goes into it. There's no substitute for hard work. None.