Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
"We" called? Poker is not a team sport you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

The royal we, the editorial we...
Old 10-12-2007, 02:14 PM

Really sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:26 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3063506

"George Steinbrenner's sons Hank and Hal have taken over the daily running of the New York Yankees, according to a report."

Not sure what the implications of this are.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3063506

"George Steinbrenner's sons Hank and Hal have taken over the daily running of the New York Yankees, according to a report."

Not sure what the implications of this are.

[/ QUOTE ]

"While Torre's future remains in doubt, it appears young pitcher Joba Chamberlain will be joining the Yankees starting rotation come spring training.

"That's something I'll insist on," said Hank Steinbrenner."

looks like not much has changed. how the [censored] is that an ownership decision?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:17 PM

Just heard on Mike and the Mad Dog that Guidry probably won't be back next year.

Leo Mazzone has been mentioned as a possible candidate to replace him but the guys on the show didn't think it would happen.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:27 PM

here's a cute article on Jeter's "extracurricular" activities:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10162007...ix/pagesix.htm
Old 10-23-2007, 11:15 AM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

a few questions, and a positive interview from rivera. via http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pb...95/1035/SPORTS

[ QUOTE ]
As Cashman works on hiring a manager, he also has entered into negotiations with free agents Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera.

Rivera appeared on a radio show yesterday and said he was prepared to sign without first knowing who the manager is.

"I know the Yankees are going to do whatever they think is best for the team. I always respect them for that," Rivera said on Sirius Satellite Radio. "I don't think it has to do nothing, with me, in terms of signing with the Yankees."

Rivera has said in the past he is willing to test the market. But he would prefer to return to the Yankees.

"Definitely, they know my feelings," he said. "They know what they have to do, so I don't worry about it. The ball is in their court, and I'm just being patient."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2007, 11:25 AM

Sylar,

You forgot an important question int he poll, "who SHOULD be manager of the Yankees next year?" and that answer is Girardi. Donnie Baseball will be.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
Sylar,

You forgot an important question int he poll, "who SHOULD be manager of the Yankees next year?" and that answer is Girardi. Donnie Baseball will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a loaded question i wanted to avoid. basically, after thinking about this for 2 weeks straight, i know what i think and i don't care to let the likes of rockies fans to weigh in on the situation.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sylar,

[/ QUOTE ]

The absolute worst managerial choice would be Girardi. He wasn't fired by the Marlins for clashing with the owner, he was fired for clashing with everyone in the Marlin's organisation, esp. his superiors. The Marlin's GM (Beinfest) did such an awesome job of stocking that team with young talent that virtually any competent manager could have done well with that team. And at the end of the year the GM wanted Girardi as far away from his youngsters as possible, and was worried about Girardi burning out his pitchers arms. Girardi is too headstrong and arrogant, and one of the most undeserved Manager of the Year winners in history.

In reality, the Yankee empire is coming to an end. The middle aged elephants are taking active roles and have big mouths and this spells doom. Proof of that is in the following elephant interview.

[ QUOTE ]

Hank Steinbrenner said four or five people will be interviewed, but Valentine wasn't on the list. Valentine, former manager of the New York Mets and Texas Rangers, currently is managing the Chiba Lotte Marines in Japan.

"I would say at this point probably not. He's certainly a smart guy, but probably not,'' Steinbrenner said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobby Valentine would easily be the best choice available. He's not only smart, but he's open-minded. He's open to input from the front office on finding the best way to use his personnel. He's not tied down by some hoary old managerial "book" of how old Joe used to do things, or how Casey Stengal did things. He's willing to think through situations with a fresh eye, which is what a great manager should do.

It looks like Cashman wanted Valentine in for an interview, and the elephants squashed it in favor of local retread heroes. Cashman is losing influence to two middle aged trust fund babies and that's the end of it.

The only way to save the situation is to hire Mattingly or Pena and have the front office put a tight leash on them, dictating the most optimal way to use personnel. Just like the A's work. There is no reason for a GM to build a strong roster and stand by as it's used sub-optimally by a quasi-independant ego-centric dictator. Pick the best motivator from the list and give them the right in-game guidelines and things might work out well. But this all assumes that Cashman is retaining any serious authority in the organisation.