Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Organ Donations

[ QUOTE ]
One last point before I go to work, while you can make an argument that paying people for donating kidneys won't increase the price because its still cheaper then long term dialysis (an argument that is suspect at best) you can't make the same argument for many of the other body parts you can donate. Each one of those now costs more because you're paying the donator money. Again, that money has to come from somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think clearly when it comes to these concepts, do you? The cost of a liver transplant is ~$300,000, less if the liver is a better match and the person doesn't have to use anti-rejection drugs.

Assuming you have a person on the donor list that never gets a liver, the day he steps foot into critical care he starts ringing up a tab that can be anywhere from $7,000 a day to $15,000 a day depending on your area of the country. Add these costs onto the treatment costs that they patient has already incurred (national average is ~$225,000) and the average liver patient has to spend ~5-10 days in CCU before the insurance company breaks $300,000 in costs.

Paying $7,500 to get a flood of livers onto the market means that they can spend $307,500 on a liver transplant, or roll the dice and hope that the patient dies before he runs up $307,500 in treatment costs.

They are going to pay for the liver.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:10 PM

Vital organs won't go for anything less than 50k IMO. And that seems like it would be on the cheap side if we have a free market of organs.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont understand people who dont agree to donate their organs. Especially those who dont do it for religious reasons. That is really f-d up logic.

[/ QUOTE ]Because they stand up for a moral cause, even if what they do causes suffering, because they hope that others will follow and will long term create the LEAST amount of suffering?

I was always pro-organ donating until this thread. I never even considered buying/selling organs a better way. Furthermore, buying/selling organs wouldn't CREATE a black market. A black market likely already exists, it just isn't very large. Minimal regulation would prevent the black market from exploding...ie only certain organs allowed to be bought/sold, mutual agreement between parties done within a hospital. face to face verification from the owner of the original organ before any organ is put into a new body. There are dozens of ways to prevent a huge black market of killing people for their organs.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:59 PM

What I meant was religions that preach that there is an afterlife. Ie what you do in this life effect your next.

Its surely +EV with God to be a nice guy and save a human being from dying if you can.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I meant was religions that preach that there is an afterlife. Ie what you do in this life effect your next.

Its surely +EV with God to be a nice guy and save a human being from dying if you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also -EV to be stuck in the afterlife for eternity with no heart. Running's gonna be hard on you.

On a serious note, organ donation should be mandatory when dead. I mean, wtf do you need them for? I wonder what the % of people who have signed that they wanted their organs given is, compared to what the % of people who would gladly accept a given organ is. Must be >>>>.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think anybody that says 'no' shouldn't be considered for organ donations. Or, at the very least, they get much lower priority on waiting lists.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 10-01-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vital organs won't go for anything less than 50k IMO. And that seems like it would be on the cheap side if we have a free market of organs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opportunity cost of selling your organs after death = 0 for most people. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's an actual shortage of organs, if everyone who could donated. Why do you think the price would be so high?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also -EV to be stuck in the afterlife for eternity with no heart. Running's gonna be hard on you.

On a serious note, organ donation should be mandatory when dead. I mean, wtf do you need them for? I wonder what the % of people who have signed that they wanted their organs given is, compared to what the % of people who would gladly accept a given organ is. Must be >>>>.

[/ QUOTE ]
I imagine God is kind and gives the heartless people a new heart.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Opportunity cost of selling your organs after death = 0 for most people. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's an actual shortage of organs, if everyone who could donated. Why do you think the price would be so high?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would assume that if we actually able to sell our organs when we die the organs would become property of the family and they would sell them to the highest bidder. I assume the best organs would go for high prices like that. I have nothing to really base this on outside of an assumption.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would assume that if we actually able to sell our organs when we die the organs would become property of the family and they would sell them to the highest bidder. I assume the best organs would go for high prices like that. I have nothing to really base this on outside of an assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully none of your relatives will ever be poor and want you dead.