Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: 10NL: Blind Defense

...snip...
but to tell people, and allow others to read about "not being worried" because it's only "dimes" is a blatantly ignorant blanket call.
...snip...

The only dimes bit isn't right, because it's BBs that you worry about regardless of scale. And you're right, it's not right to make blanket statements about anything. Still, my preference would be to engage an aggressive villain in the 8 hands I have position on him and not the 1 I don't unless I have a real reason to (being my hand plays against his range). Defending my blinds isn't the most important consideration, though his being an aggressive attack of the blinds does shape how I view his range for sure.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...snip...
but to tell people, and allow others to read about "not being worried" because it's only "dimes" is a blatantly ignorant blanket call.
...snip...

The only dimes bit isn't right, because it's BBs that you worry about regardless of scale. And you're right, it's not right to make blanket statements about anything. Still, my preference would be to engage an aggressive villain in the 8 hands I have position on him and not the 1 I don't unless I have a real reason to (being my hand plays against his range). Defending my blinds isn't the most important consideration, though his being an aggressive attack of the blinds does shape how I view his range for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

true enuff. villain rolled a Q9o for a pair of nines with the Q high flush draw. i was pegging down his hand ranges during the rest of his play when outside of blind stealing territory and biding my time to snap him.

EN
Old 10-29-2007, 08:21 PM

I think the reply about not worrying has a lot to do with the concept of "know thy competition". In NL10 you will encounter less blind steals on average then say at NL100. This means that appearent steals will turn out to be legitimate hands a greater % of the time thus potentially making blind defense -ev. Of course if you have a solid read that THIS opponent is stealing (need some evidence) then it is just as important, imo.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:37 PM

I think the "not important" part was referring not only to the fact that people steal less but that there are plenty of other edges you can easily get, whereas at higher levels you have to count on smaller things like stealing blinds.
Anyway, this doesn't really affect things and you are totally right that it is important to understand blind stealing.

I definitely think 3betting pre is much better. The way you played it, you are still letting him have control of the hand. you will both miss the flop quite often and you want to be the one to take it down with a cbet.

How often do you lead in such a situation? If I call and hit, my default would be to check/raise.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:12 PM

nice link, btw. i'll be looking over that later
Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the "not important" part was referring not only to the fact that people steal less but that there are plenty of other edges you can easily get, whereas at higher levels you have to count on smaller things like stealing blinds.
Anyway, this doesn't really affect things and you are totally right that it is important to understand blind stealing.

I definitely think 3betting pre is much better. The way you played it, you are still letting him have control of the hand. you will both miss the flop quite often and you want to be the one to take it down with a cbet.

How often do you lead in such a situation? If I call and hit, my default would be to check/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll often lead into them on the flop. for some goofy reasoning i'd rather play small pots by just calling and not risking a reraise. big cards i'll 3bet more often but mostly i'm looking to call the steal and see what develops.

this particular villain had been aggro as a rule so i opted to let him bluff off to me. the rereaise on the turn caught my eye but i was committed to calling and reloading if necessary knowing he knew i'd go to the felt with him.

it worked out. meh.

i was actually more curious if anyone would pick the turn line apart moreso than get into a debate on the worthiness of stealing at NL10.

yeah it's a great link and has taken my virtually no stealing ass to a higher level. me thinks my winrate is a direct reflection of my steal success (.6bb/hand avg)

EN
Old 10-30-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
blinds are relative to your stakes and bankroll so could some1 explain why blind defence is more of a concern at 100nl than 10nl?

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. Just because its lower stakes doesn't mean you should allow someone to continually steal your blinds and steam roll you. You still should be selective about when you make your stand though, and you could probably wait for a better situation than KT imo.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:24 AM

Do you think there are tons of people stealing blinds even at NL1000 and above?
Its just not a major part of full ring. Im not looking to pick up 1 BB regardless of the level...im looking for ways to take stacks.