Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: OOT, I am on quest

DH,
I spent some time doing stand-up. I haven't really read the thread yet- so I don't know whats been said.

I'll read the thread and provide a well-thought out post tomorrow.
in the meantime, think about this-- the things that you say when your friends go "omg-you're so funny, you should do standup"-- are those the kind of things you'd ever hear a standup actually say in a set?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have some jokes if you want some.
For example, there's this great one I thought up regarding Lipitor

[/ QUOTE ]

I work for Pfizer, let me have it.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:08 AM

I thought it goes like this now...

[ QUOTE ]
Celine Dion walks into a bar.... bartender says ... "why the long face?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 AM

Being a comedian seems like an awesome job. Just sit around all day and think of funny things. Then occasionally make people laugh.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being a comedian seems like an awesome job. Just sit around all day and think of funny things. Then occasionally make people laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, its like being a dj, you get to hang out in clubs, just put albums on and every now and then do that scratchy thing..
Old 11-21-2007, 02:20 AM

david,
You should definitely do a trial run first with friends or family.

Tony P,
Why does your location say Astoria, New York instead of Queens?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in the meantime, think about this-- the things that you say when your friends go "omg-you're so funny, you should do standup"-- are those the kind of things you'd ever hear a standup actually say in a set?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. But I don't intend to get on stage and say the things that I say to my friends.

Actually, recently I've kind of worked on some material. Everything I thought of, jokes I think I can take somewhere, I would work it into conversations with friends/family/coworkers...pretty good results.

A few of my jokes, just the general idea:
The recent "Britney Spears is the worst mom alive" campaign. Fact is, my mom, and many other moms, are just as nuts as Britney. Damn, I just realized this is beginning to sound cliche. Possibly something about other celebrity parents who [censored] up and/or raise [censored] ups(Dog the Bounty Hunter, Hulk Hogan, Nicole Richie(2009), etc)...Build from there.

Riding the bus, or any city transportation, everything that comes with it. One time on the bus, there was a bum broadcasting the news into a cardboard box. Just screaming current events into a little 2x3 box. And no one batted an eye. Missing the bus, selecting the perfect seat, etc. Avoiding "That Guy", the one who will always talk to you...even(especially, maybe) if you have headphones in.

Like I said, these are just the general ideas...Once I get a few more solid ideas, I will work to improve the ones with the most potential and not take the weaker ones any further.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:05 AM

i helped my friend out on his brief amateur open-mic standup career for a little while. Everyone telling you how hard it is and that you're not as funny as you think you are are probably right, but that shouldn't discourage you from at least give it a shot. Like you said, you're only trying to have a little fun so why not.

I hope you are comfortable with public speaking and improvisation. I say practice talking up strangers at parties, not running material, but just getting comfortable telling BS and not being embrassed when called out on it.
When writing jokes, get to the punchline, quick. Edit out everything out of the set up that is not essential to the punchline.
Also, find a loyal group of friends to come see you at open-mics. While eventually you'll have to be comfortable in front of complete strangers, it doesn't hurt to have a few people who get your sense of humor, and if they buy alot of drinks club owners will be happy to have you back.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you are comfortable with public speaking and improvisation. I say practice talking up strangers at parties, not running material, but just getting comfortable telling BS and not being embrassed when called out on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I talk, talk, and talk all day...people I know, people I've never seen or met, people I vaguely recall meeting the previous weekend, guys I kinda recognize but don't really know if I had a class with him...or maybe we went to grade school together. Anyways, I am very outgoing...you could probably classify me as the guy who will say nearly anything to almost anyone. (Thin line between that and the guy who says everything that comes to mind to anyone who happens to be listening)

I feel decently comfortable on stage/in front of people(more so than the average person), but it could be better. I'm actually taking a Public Speaking class this semester, so that has been a good experience on a smaller scale than a bar or club.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, find a loyal group of friends to come see you at open-mics. While eventually you'll have to be comfortable in front of complete strangers, it doesn't hurt to have a few people who get your sense of humor, and if they buy alot of drinks clu owners will be happy to have you back.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a good plan, with the exception of the drinks. <21 FTL.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Riding the bus, or any city transportation, everything that comes with it. One time on the bus, there was a bum broadcasting the news into a cardboard box. Just screaming current events into a little 2x3 box. And no one batted an eye. Missing the bus, selecting the perfect seat, etc. Avoiding "That Guy", the one who will always talk to you...even(especially, maybe) if you have headphones in.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a frequenter of the Philly public transportation, take it from me, definitly some good possibilities here, I laughed at the IDEAS. Lots of people will be able to relate to this stuff.