Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Ordering Takeout

I love cooking, yet I still order food almost all the time. This is likely due to laziness and getting home too late from work. I often get back to my apartment around 7, and I typically don't like waiting 30-60 minutes before I can eat. I suppose I could microwave some stuff, but those precooked meals typically taste like [censored].
Old 11-14-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The quality of food you can cook is way better than buying take away but there is a bit of a learning curve involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just isn't true in my experience unless you are comparing to McD's or similar.

No way I can make a better sub than Jersey Mike's for less money, I've tried many times, using fresh sliced deli meats, etc. and it just flat out doesn't taste as good and costs the same except now I have to eat 4 roast beef and provolone sandwiches in a week so the ingredients don't go bad.

Same with stopping into Moe's or Willie's and picking up a burrito for $6 that is absolutely delicious. There is no way I can make an equivalent burrito for that cheap.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:10 PM

googling frozen dinners is hard apparently... but there's this frozen dinner, a sweet and sour chicken stir-fry, in a bag, all the stuff included, you just put olive oil in a frying, put ingrediants in pan, cook until they look ready to eat, and then eat them. i forget the brand name. it's absolutely fantastic though, but it's still like $6 for one of them, and i can eat most of it myself in one sitting despite the fact that it purports to "feed 2"

for $6 i can just go get a sweet&sour chicken combo from a chinese place or a giant 1.5 foot sub... each of which takes less time/effort/cleanup...
Old 11-14-2007, 07:33 PM

I never cooked into i got a rice cooker. It is basically the greatest cooking instrument since the microwave. Just put stuff in it and come back when you are hungry.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:47 PM

mbillie,

Bertolli?

I like cooking a lot. I try to cook something every night even if it's just cooking some chicken and veggies or whatever. I definitely can attest to the fact that it can actually be more expensive to cook than to get takeout though. I've had some $15 meals for myself because of the crap I had to buy from the recipe.

I thoroughly enjoy cooking...but I also thoroughly enjoy eating out. The fact I don't have much money is why I cook at home most of the time. If I had money I'd spend like $20 a day eating out, haha.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The quality of food you can cook is way better than buying take away

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. My take out is usually limited to chicken or chicken wings. There is no way I could make either of those better at home.

I have a very odd diet so at least of basically steak, chicken or Italian. There is no way I'm going to make steak at home that is better then from a steak house. Same goes for Italian.

I don't eat at chains. I don't eat fast food. Once you exclude those the quality of food bought prepared by others is always going to be better than anything someone can make at home.

Also when you factor in time for cooking you need to add in the time wasted at the grocery store and the time wasted cleaning up.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:03 PM

Jesus, I feel unhealthy if I eat takeout more than once a week. WTF every meal?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 PM

I'd say take out 2-4 times a week. Pub food 2-4 times a week and the rest of the time I'll go out to eat. I live right downtown so plenty of restaurants.

The pub food is the only stuff I think is unhealthy. The wine also probably doesn't help. But food I don't see how if I made a steak at home it would be any healthier for me than a steak from Hy's
Old 11-14-2007, 10:09 PM

Microwave meals ftw. Seriously. Here in Holland the supermarkets have like 20 kinds. They are reasonably healthy and taste fine.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:12 PM

I moved into my new apartment 6 months ago and I've yet to open the oven. I used the stove once went I bought a can of soup.