Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 04:14 AM

Default black 7s

A game full of mental patients. And one burn victim.

Three limpers, and the button -- a loose, passive, dumb lady to my left -- raises. She's not so weak as to only raise big pairs, so a decent Ace is in her range.

I semi-CC in the SB with 77. BB folds, and the limpers all call.

Flop is 665 with two hearts. Checked to button, who checks behind. (Anyone prefer a weak lead? My check was with the intention to probably raise if it was checked to her and she bet, or fold if someone donked and she raised).

Turn is the sweet 7d. I bet out, UTG calls (he's the one reasonable player at the table, so his call means a pretty good draw -- at least OESD, perhaps flush, or both; I doubt he'd call with 2 pair especially because I have two sevens so he would have to have some 5 that he limps UTG with, which I don't think he does), and UTG+1 raises.

Other limper folds, Button folds. Now UTG+1 is out of place among the Asians and Armenians. He belongs in the Wynn -- a midwestern-looking thin 40-ish dude with a cloth baseball cap on. He's a thinking player, but he isn't very good at holdem and he's lost about a rack since I sat down. We've had one confrontation before, and it was when I opened AA and he cold-called on the button and he raised a paired low flop and I 3-bet and he called me down the whole way and mucked at showdown.

So the question is: do I 3-bet or just call and hope UTG calls behind and hits his dead draw? UTG+1 might have a 6, or he might be making a play -- though I'm not sure he semi-bluffs ever. I'd say at this point I'm probably 75% sure he has a 6 or perhaps the made straight. Whatever it is, I think he calls me down if I 3-bet and doesn't fold or raise anymore -- so that's 2 sure BBs. But if I call and get 1 more from UTG, I have the chance to collect 2 on the river if the draw comes in, and maybe more if someone ends up with sixes full.

Anyway, what's the plan?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:06 AM

Default Re: black 7s

well, your position sucks. How do you make the best of it? You hope that they are bigger idiots than you think they are. 3bet that sht and bet the river. Worst case scenario, UTG folds and UTG+1 calls. Best case, UTG calls 2 cold. Your other best case is UTG hits his str8/flush draw AND thinks it is good enough to bet so that you can chk/rz the field IF both UTG+1 AND UTG both do not fold. Hell, I'm really bad at HE. I might even stay in with my 8h9h,Ah8h,6x9x,etc and hope that it is good. Who knows, maybe UTG will cap with his 55. Point is, you'll never know how big this pot can get unless you raise.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:58 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Seriously. You're on a big street, you have top full, raise raise raise raise RAISE.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:26 AM

This is a pretty easy 3 bet.

If he does indeed have a str8 or flush draw he's much more likely than not to call 2 more bets cold. He's not calling anything on the river if he misses, so get it in now. Also UTG+1 may like his 6 or his 98 enought to put in 4 bets on the turn.

With respect to your river plan were you considering going for a c/r if the flush or str8 got there(you say you can get 2 on the river)? What if you guessed wrong? Anyway bet any river, if he hits he might raise and you might even get in 3 bets there too.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:26 AM

I think you need to raise here. UTG may end up calling two anyway if he does have an OESD or 4 flush. He could also be slow playing 55 or 89s (not sure if those are in his range to open limp with or not).

Either way, I like raising and worrying less about the overcall. The river could bring a brick that silences all the action anyways.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG may end up calling two anyway if he does have an OESD or 4 flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a lot of people are making this comment, and I forgot to mention my own image in the OP. I was playing solid and getting respect from most people when I raised. With a paired board, UTG knows I'm not 3-betting without a boat, but UTG+1 would not. UTG will fold a draw if I 3-bet.

Does that change anyone's opinion of the turn play?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:31 PM

no. Your image is never as "good" as you think it is.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:32 PM

also, are you saying that you wouldn't 3bet A6 or 89 here?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:57 PM

Pretty easy 3bet. Get your money in now and hope they are as big of donkeys as you think.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A game full of mental patients. And one burn victim.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is sad that I know who you are talking about and I don't even live in LA.

Anyways. Just raise. They like to chase, let them do what they do best.