Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Workout of the Day!

so i woke up and checked the crossfit workout of the day and wanted to post it here just to get opinions and thoughts on it from the gymheads of 2+2.

i think it is going to be absolutely brutal and i hope it doesn't kill me.......i may write a trip report.

deadlift 1 1/2 bw
bench bw
full clean 3/4 bw

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 reps
(meaning do each exercise for 10 reps, then 9, then 8, etc.)
(10 dl, 10 bench, 10 pc, then 9 of each)

do this for time. (so as rapidly as work can be completed)

any opinions of the functionality/brutality of this one?
any drawbacks or shortcomings?

does anyone on here think they could do it in a decent time?
say under 20 min. or so!!??

i have scaled back the weights in the past so i could complete the wo w/o total failure. might try to tackle the full load today. wish me luck.

thanks for your input. J.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Workout of the Day!

55 reps of deads and i think i would be spent, seems like a recipe for overtraining, especially if you are supposed to know all these out as fast as you can...of course this depends what percent of your 1rm 1.5bw is...probably a lot of vomiting involved in this...
Old 04-24-2007, 12:21 PM

i think the 3/4 bw full cleans are going to be the worst part for me, puking may have a big factor in this one for sure. some of these w.o.d.'s have me laying on the floor to recover longer than the actual w.o. takes me!! lol.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:25 PM

if you can reduce the weight of the lifts as you progress then it becomes much better i think...but keeping the weight constant for all reps would either take a long time (long rests) or induce lots of puking i think...im kind of curious about these crossfit things (although they are not for me)...

yeah, by the time you get to cleans i don't see how you could have any gas left unless you took long rest periods...
Old 04-24-2007, 12:47 PM

i was going to try not to scale it this time (i had to before, like 2 months ago) but i am reconsidering this as i am getting ready to hit the gym. very very limited rest is the key on these. max. work in min. time is the goal. it does get progressively "easier" even if it is only mentally. getting through 9 total reps towards the end is easier than gettting through 27 total reps even if you are that much more tired.......
Old 04-24-2007, 01:24 PM

I've tried it in the past slightly scaled. I think the cleans and deadlift would be possible, but I would have no chance on the bench.

This is definitely the hardest x-fit workout imo, based on just difficulty in completing. I can't see many able to do it under 45mins with less than 2 years training. Good luck J! You're a baller if you can.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:42 PM

crossfit is for people under 180 pounds. basing things linearly on BW is retarded
Old 04-24-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
crossfit is for people under 180 pounds. basing things linearly on BW is retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? I suggest you tell that to the thousands of x-fitters over 200lbs. Sure this workout is harder as prescribed, but something like Fran (95lb thrusters and pullups) will be easier for a bigger stronger guy. And nothing says you can't scale any workout as you see fit. I guaruntee you probably less than 5% of those doing this workout today will finish it unscaled.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? I suggest you tell that to the thousands of x-fitters over 200lbs. Sure this workout is harder as prescribed, but something like Fran (95lb thrusters and pullups) will be easier for a bigger stronger guy. And nothing says you can't scale any workout as you see fit. I guaruntee you probably less than 5% of those doing this workout today will finish it unscaled.

[/ QUOTE ]

200# guy is doing way way more work relative to the 180# guy in this workout. I guess people just scale it to their 10rm or something.

10 rep sets of full cleans sounds like a good way to get injured.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:00 PM

I have done it, at bw of 240lbs. I stopped after the sets of 3, mostly for time reasons, but i felt like i was past the point of diminishing returns at that point. I did 45-60 sec rest between each set. I have also done it with chins added in too. I found that the hardest for a guy my weight.
I wouldnt reccomed it unless you are experienced in deads and pc, your lower back gets worked pretty hard to maintain form.