Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-07-2007, 02:43 AM

Default Re: General life questions / observations / random whatever thread

Has anyone here been in a motorcycle accident they truly believe they could not have prevented?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:48 AM

Moved to dating/relationship thread.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:51 AM

Rosemary's. Anyone here reviewed this yet? Frommer's said it was arguably the best restaurant in Vegas

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...as/D51889.html
Old 11-07-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rosemary's. Anyone here reviewed this yet? Frommer's said it was arguably the best restaurant in Vegas

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...as/D51889.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I ate there for the first time last Sunday (the entire wine list is half off on Sundays). I found it to be excellent but not mind blowing. Our appetizers and salad were top notch, but our lamb entree was mediocre. Desert was very good, not great. Our head waiter was just a little bit off, as were the backwaiters. Definitely would do again, quality fine dining, but not the A+++ that is the reputation.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone here been in a motorcycle accident they truly believe they could not have prevented?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been in two that I could not have prevented. The first I was riding slowly down a wet street at night, doing maybe 30. It hadn't rained for a long while and the roads was greasy. My handlebars began girating wildly without warning and the next thing I knew I was sliding down the street on my hands without any gloves on. I had been riding in a straight line at the time. Got up without a scratch.

Second time I was on a dirt road with a passenger. Coming around a blind corner I met a car that was going way too fast in the middle of the road. I took the bike straight off the road at the corner and slid down a small ravine. Once again not a scratch to either of us but the bike was not happy. Neither was I.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lippy,

It's pretty damn good. Nine at the Palms was also great. Delmonico Steakhouse is maybe a little more on the traditional, fancy dining side, whereas Nine is maybe a little bit more modern, hip feel. I dunno, I love them both, they each have a different vibe to them but both are great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definintely going to have to go with Nine as it's going to be 4-6 of my friends and me, all under 25. I think an El D recommendation is all the more research I need to do.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how nitty about the definition of prevented is. I was riding an older motorcyle ('72 Honda CB 350 ftw) 6 years ago when, unbeknownst to me, a gasket on one of the cases went coating my back tire in engine oil. The first corner I attempted to make the rear tire just washed out and I went down at 35 MPH.

I guess the accident could have been prevented by replacing the gasket prior to riding, but I had no idea it was in bad shape.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how nitty about the definition of prevented is. I was riding an older motorcyle ('72 Honda CB 350 ftw) 6 years ago when, unbeknownst to me, a gasket on one of the cases went coating my back tire in engine oil. The first corner I attempted to make the rear tire just washed out and I went down at 35 MPH.

I guess the accident could have been prevented by replacing the gasket prior to riding, but I had no idea it was in bad shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

my scuba instructor was sitting stopped at a red light, a car rear ended him and he broke his arm

i guess he could have gunned it into the intersection and played frogger? but it seems like it was pretty hard to prevent
Old 11-07-2007, 05:09 PM

Anyone have any good book recommendations? I've read 15 books the last 15 days at "work" and now I need to go buy some more. What I've read: (I've enjoyed them all)

Jose Saramago - Blindness
JD Salinger - Catcher in the Rye
Gino Segre - Faust in Copenhagen
Ernest Hemingway - For Whom the Bell Tolls
Ernest Hemingway - In Our Time
David Sedaris - Me Talk Pretty One Day
Tim Weiner - Legacy of Ashes
Haruki Murakami - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Haruki Murakami - Kafka on the Shore
Haruki Murakami - Dance Dance Dance
Mikhail Bulgakov - The Master and Margarita
Haruki Murakami - South of the Border, West of the Sun
Sylvia Plath - The Bell Jar
Jose Saramago - Seeing
Goethe - Faust

anyone have anything along those lines?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 PM

I enjoyed "A Moveable Feast" by Hemingway. I believe it was published posthumously. It's a sort of autobiography. Much of it was written when he was in love, or so a former teacher told me.

For those with Fresh Direct accounts, make sure to get in on the President's Special this week: Stone Crabs. I just got 3 pounds today and can't express my joy in eating these. I just put in another order to be delivered on Sunday, for 3 more pounds. I think they are on sale for $15.99/lb. They are cooked and ready to eat. Delicious.