Attention grabbing jewerly 9 6.04%
Your person is themed (Emo,Gangsta,Punk,Goth) 5 3.36%
None of the above 87 58.39%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: ***SSNL LIFE THREAD NOV***

[ QUOTE ]
Jay, pretty funny to observe you going from a fanatical soccer hooligan to an american football fan. Does your friends/family know? Are you still accepted as a british citizen? Do you still drink tea?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm part of an American football firm now. We go round clothslining each other then slapping each others asses while screaming WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It's way better than being a football hooligan any day.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol i hate debating religion. there isn't ever a right or wrong answer and you're never going to change the other person's mind. right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that most people who post in threads about religion will have one firm view or another. But that doesn't mean that everyone has such a hard stance on religion, and it's perfectly reasonable to make your arguments with the understanding that people who can be swayed will be reading.

Lots of people simply don't realise that they have a choice, that they don't have to be religious (or atheistic, I suppose). If you are brought up thinking something, if you are indoctrinated at an early age, you simply have it as part of your world view, not as something to analyse. It's good to get people to analyse.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of people simply don't realise that they have a choice, that they don't have to be religious (or atheistic, I suppose).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's way easier to quit being a Christian than to quit being an aetheist imo.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of people simply don't realise that they have a choice, that they don't have to be religious (or atheistic, I suppose).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's way easier to quit being a Christian than to quit being an aetheist imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's probably true. It certainly was for me. I lost my so called faith (I was brought up christian, but not devout) around 18 years old.

I used to cheat from time to time, i.e. pray to god if I was feeling really badly or hurting (hung over :P) but I hadn't done that for many many years until I got my heart completely broken. Felt like such a hypocrite at the time but the pain was just too unbearable. I haven't done it since then. Maybe I'm a closet christian but there's just so much about religion/faith that goes against every fiber of my being (sceptic/pessimist/realist).
Old 11-12-2007, 01:30 PM

yay i got myself a laptop!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

re: religion being +EV
This is just plainly silly. You could make the same argument for blindly believing in every superstition out there. If stepping on a crack might break my back should I go through life avoiding every crack in every single road I walk on?

[/ QUOTE ]

im not really very superstitious at all, but when I'm faced with situations where I have an unknown edge sometimes I deliberately try to be superstitious in order to trick myself into extra confidence. I used to do this when I played sports, i think its at very wworst 0EV, and generally I think it kept me in a positive and focused mindframe pregame.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:47 PM

Do you subscribe to the 'tails never fails' theory?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:00 PM

Jay did you stay up to watch the Indy - SD game live?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol i hate debating religion. there isn't ever a right or wrong answer and you're never going to change the other person's mind. right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, pretty much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Srsly. Also, me vs shpanko is likely going down tonight. He set the odds at 8 kills in his favor in AIM last night (lol?) so some of you may wish to see if you can get action on that...although if we're playing best of 5 (i.e. variable number of games, so 8 could wind up giving me from a 1.6kill/game edge to 2.7kills/game) then setting the line by kills may not be the best way to go.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, I'd bet on goofy all day, have you not seen his pictures. He was built to play video games <3

[/ QUOTE ]

dude when we played tiger woods and pro evo, he wasnt super amazing at either, and he owned the console. i cant see how halo would be diff. the way shpanko is talking, it sounds like his confidence is correctly backed up so its +EV to bet on him
Closed Thread