Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: possible reason arod signed early?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love all the misinformed Yankee hating going on in this thread.

Somehow this turned into Boras calling the Yankees bluff and the Yankees came crawling back to A-Rod and Boras, while Boras is agent of the year and the Yankees bitched out. So wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except this is exactly what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you guys really think Boras would ever be behind/support A-Rod going through 3rd parties to deal with the Yankees and get a new contract? That he would ever want that to become public?

Are you people even following this story since it broke? This wasn't some mastermind plan by Boras.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please address my earlier issue with your recount of the "facts".
Old 11-18-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't he? Boras gets a cut. Wow, seriously.

Zutroy, Charlie isn't even bothering to directly respond to your point because he knows how asinine it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't know. I though this was pretty straightforward stuff.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:42 PM

"if Arod opts out he won't be a Yankee because the Yankees wont negotiate"

Did ARod opt out?

Will he be a Yankee next year?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"if Arod opts out he won't be a Yankee because the Yankees wont negotiate"

Did ARod opt out?

Will he be a Yankee next year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Occam's Razor doesn't apply here.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:56 PM

As part of my 12 step program, I have refrained from partaking in this thread.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:57 PM

IMO, if the 10/275 deal goes through, it will be a good development for NY, better than him going to another team. Obviously him not opting out would have been preferable, but altogether I am happy with how it worked out. I find it a little hard to believe all the crap about how Arod was "beside himself" when he realized he might have to leave New York and then went back to the table without Boras, but whatever. I had originally been convinced he really did want to stay in NY and wouldn't opt out, and then when he did opt out (after obviously knowing he was going to opt out for a long time), I thought it was clear he was done with being treated like [censored] in NY and getting booed while putting up MVP seasons, but perhaps not. Who knows anymore.

If you think 10/275 is overpaying, you are greatly underestimating both how much Arod increases the yankees' chance of making the playoffs for the next couple years, and how much money the yankees have to spend. They have so much to lose by not having him on the team for the next couple seasons, and there aren't that many places where the Yankees can spend their money productively.

If what ended up happening was that Boras looked at the extension and said "Arod, you are worth much more than this, the Yankees are bluffing" and knew all along something like this was develop, he obviously played it brilliantly. People want to hate Boras and want it to be reprehensible for Arod to opt out and squeeze every last dollar out of NY, so they call it bad agenting because they think its greedy. Although the timing of the announcement was really, really stupid.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, if the 10/275 deal goes through, it will be a good development for NY, better than him going to another team. Obviously him not opting out would have been preferable, but altogether I am happy with how it worked out. I find it a little hard to believe all the crap about how Arod was "beside himself" when he realized he might have to leave New York and then went back to the table without Boras, but whatever. I had originally been convinced he really did want to stay in NY and wouldn't opt out, and then when he did opt out (after obviously knowing he was going to opt out for a long time), I thought it was clear he was done with being treated like [censored] in NY and getting booed while putting up MVP seasons, but perhaps not. Who knows anymore.

If you think 10/275 is overpaying, you are greatly underestimating both how much Arod increases the yankees' chance of making the playoffs for the next couple years, and how much money the yankees have to spend. They have so much to lose by not having him on the team for the next couple seasons, and there aren't that many places where the Yankees can spend their money productively.

If what ended up happening was that Boras looked at the extension and said "Arod, you are worth much more than this, the Yankees are bluffing" and knew all along something like this was develop, he obviously played it brilliantly. People want to hate Boras and want it to be reprehensible for Arod to opt out and squeeze every last dollar out of NY, so they call it bad agenting because they think its greedy. Although the timing of the announcement was really, really stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the overall sentiment here but I think you are also forgetting that A-Rod isn't young anymore. He is 32yrs old and can likely only play either corner infield position at this point. He is the best player in the league but the deal he is signing at his age is ridiculous, in my opinion.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:13 PM

There is never going to be a good "value" deal for teams trying to amass as many wins as the Yankees year to year. Some are gonna suck and suck really hard.

This contract is better than any of the 7 year pitching deals that have gone down.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't he? Boras gets a cut. Wow, seriously.

Zutroy, Charlie isn't even bothering to directly respond to your point because he knows how asinine it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't know. I though this was pretty straightforward stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Zutroy doesn't believe that the Yankees would have offered 10 years and 275 or even anything above that unless he opts out and is a free agent.

Yet when Alex is a free agent...virtually no one is making the kind of offers the Yankees are able to make. Alex has to come back to the Yankees and do negotiations on their terms..and they throw up 10 years 275 as essentially the offer they are fine with giving.

What exactly did opting out do to drive up the price?
Was it the fact that the Yankees saw that no one else was going to pay more than 8 years 225? Was it the fact that Boras was removed from negotiations?

Tell me what exactly enabled Arod to get a better deal than what he could have gotten if he had bothered to negotiate pre-opt out.

Posada got a amazing deal that in most people's eyes was to much for that old of a catcher, same with Rivera...why did they get these huge deals? Cuz the [censored] Yankees didn't want them to hit the open market. Could they have gotten a better deal by becoming free agents..possibly...but they could have also gotten a worse.

If Boras negotiates non stop with the Yankees there is no way he doesn't get 10 years 275 min. The Yankees were hapy to give that to Arod last week...they would be happy with that deal pre-opt out.He most likely gets more. Why?
Because the Yankees have said we're not negotiating if u opt out so basically they said to everyone "we have to sign u in these next 10 days or we lose you for good".

If they are on the 9th day with one left to go and the Yankees offer the same offer they gave Arod last week when he has NO leverage(275/10)...and Boras comes back with 10 years but 30 million per year and revenue.You think the Yankees are going to be "OMG an extra 30 million? No way thats craazy...we'll sign Mike Lowell to 4 years instead."

The Yankees never made an official offer. Boras essentially said [censored] you and [censored] your offers we're opting out cuz we can get the best deal on the open market. He didn't even try t see if he could get a huge deal pre-opt out.

Thats the amazing thing...Boras didn't try to milk the Yankees and see how high they would go before the opt out date. Negotiating wise that is where he screwed up...not to mention making his client look like a douche.

Arod still got a great deal but Boras mishandled the whole thing. He did not do a great job because Arod got a huge contract from the Yankees...Arod would have gotten a huge contract from the Yankees regardless.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Because the Yankees have said we're not negotiating if u opt out so basically they said to everyone "we have to sign u in these next 10 days or we lose you for good".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still a little hazy on the facts so maybe you can clear up some questions for me.

Did A-Rod opt out?

Is he going to be a Yankee next year?