Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 02:14 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.
Default Re: Razz Hand at $50,000 HORSE - Matusow vs. Tomko

Agree that Dewey played the hand ok, albeit a bit scared. Mike should have bet 6th and kept his mouth shut about the paired ace, one of his tells being talking too much when he's behind, to put the pressure on Dewey. And Max should have raised to get it heads up.

Edit to call out to betgo to see what he thinks about this.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:31 PM

Personally I agree, Mike should bet 6th and Pescatori should raise 3rd, but those are the very straight forward plays and I guess I have to assume that late in a tournament against pros, sometimes hands get played less than optimally straight-forward. Sometimes when analyzing a hand like this, we tend to suggest what we think someone should do most of the time, but we also need to acknowledge that it is sometimes OK (or even required) to play in a non-straightforward manner.

This is one of those things where I'd really love to see it played several different ways by the same players with the same cards, to see what happens. Unfortunately that just isn't possible.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:40 PM

If Mike, I'd rather go for the c/r on 5th, and probably close my mouth, at least for the duration of the hand. Could be wrong, but he just doesn't seem to be thinking this one through appropriately.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:25 PM

I should clarify something - Mikey didn't say a word about the aces until after the hand was over. At first when I heard it, I went how the hell did Dewey not notice two aces out on 3rd - although I have never played live stud games so I'm not sure how much time you have to absorb the upcards on third before the others fold. Then I rewatched the hand and saw that Max had an Ace down at which time I realized either that Mike was mistaken or was lying (to set Dewey up on future hands?)
Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I agree, Mike should bet 6th and Pescatori should raise 3rd, but those are the very straight forward plays and I guess I have to assume that late in a tournament against pros, sometimes hands get played less than optimally straight-forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, really, they probably just suck. trust me.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I agree, Mike should bet 6th and Pescatori should raise 3rd, but those are the very straight forward plays and I guess I have to assume that late in a tournament against pros, sometimes hands get played less than optimally straight-forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, really, they just suck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, really, they probably just suck. trust me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2007, 03:12 AM

Live play moves slowly enough that even a doddering old fool like me can usually absorb all the cards on third street.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Live play moves slowly enough that even a doddering old fool like me can usually absorb all the cards on third street.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently Tomko is either older or more doddering than you however. The broadcast was on again last night and you don't get to see the other cards to verify Mikey's claim, but I have to suspect that the fact Mike caught a 2 and an A made Dewey's "read" that much stronger. Also, there's a very good chance Tomko had some sort of tell on Mike and said that to see if Mike would tip off whether or not he had a pair.